Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I cannot tell if anyone responded to this question. Here is a link that was helpful to me. It is actually about marans I believe but the slow feather gene info must be pretty much the same for any chickens.
http://www.marans.eu/genetiqa.htm
Scroll down a little to "growth or speed of fledgling".

Thank you for replying and for the link! I will tackle it in the morning - with a LARGE cup of coffee!
wink.png

Thoughts on the type of this pullet? (about 6 months old) Tail is growing out and is wrong color but what do you think about her? What are her good points and what needs improvement? Don't be shy. I'm learning and need imput.

Overall, I think she looks pretty good. Same as most. All WBS still need a lot of work on a variety of things but I'd say she's a keeper and I wouldn't hesitate to breed her. Other than that, I am always hesitate to comment to specifically because a snapshot in time can't really do justice to a bird. For example, the tail may appear to have to much of a break but that may not be necessarily so.

As one who works exclusively with the WBS variety, I hope you'll stick with it and commit to improving them over the next several coming years.

God Bless,

She looks good- I don't know what you mean about the tail, but at least she has color where she should, and no black where she shouldn't (hackles). I would get a saddle for her soon, though.

Wheaten Ameraucana hens should have black tails.As in solid, pure BLACK. Only the top most pair should have smudgy/smuttiness of wheaten on the outer web.

I'd agree with the owner, however honestly, I've seen very very few Wheaties these days who truly do have good black tails, so, don't fret too much.

Does anyone have wheaten ameraucanas with solid black tails?

There's a picture of a hen with one at the ameraucana breeders club so where did she come from? Some of my birds have ZERO black on the tail at all. It's more like a smudge of black.

Can someone post a picture of a nice type hen? I need to know what i'm looking for.

I haven't seen any with solid black tails in person. I have hatched a few with almost solid blue tails, and am working on getting a few more out. You want to try and get the most color in the tail without adding a bunch of black in the hackles.

My main focus this year is productivity. Its impossible to really breed for good traits when you aren't getting any eggs.

These LA chicks are 1 week old. I do have three BCM chicks in the photo, not splits. I had 100% hatch of my lockdown, a first for me with shipped eggs. Only 2 LA eggs were clear and did not make it into lockdown.

Would like your feedback for what to look for, should I separate early for particular traits, etc.

Thank you!
200x200px-ZC-beaa8d67_IMG_1162.jpeg

For full sized photo:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/image/id/6385044/width/400/flags/LL

anybody working with lemon cuckoo ameraucanas as of yet?

I have considered giving it a try.I had one in my EE pen 2 or 3 years ago but was not interested at the time.Can't remember if there was a leg color issue like with cuckoo.Still trying to find a way around the leg color issue on cuckoo.I have a couple of routes to try this year.

I'm starting to worry now that my Ameraucanas won't have a big enough beard to be considered an Ameraucana.
Here's a closer pic of one of their beards at about 4weeks old. So my question is, are they normally this small
at this age, or do they just not have a good gene? And if I want bigger beards, do I need to mate my hens with a rooster
with a bigger beard or do I go after completely new hens and roosters?

Back
Top Bottom