Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Had to say Hi to Illia, how is the rainforest and are you still getting tourists through there wanting to know where the vampires are?

I graduated from Port Angeles.....small world, spent lots of time in the rainforest there and at trail heads up into the mountains.

Pips/peeps thanks for the advice, I figuered out that John is a nice guy, just need to be patient, people get real busy, I know I'm not ALWAYS on the computer, either...I DID join the ABC and Michael is getting me hooked up for registration on the forum with the people that do that, again, patience.

I am very interested in knowing the breeders here that are getting blue eggs. From reading the old posts on ABC from 2005 folks were getting green eggs as they were concentrating on type and not eggs. I really would like both type and blue eggs. But more so, I don't want to mix up my Wellie Roos with my Ameraucana Roos and was hoping to get blue eggs, too.

Not sure what color birds I will be getting now. Again, patience.

Is it normal for everyone's Ameraucanas to be in laying season now and expect them to have chicks or eggs available into May or how does the breed run? My Wellie girls have not gone into moult yet and are in good lay and they aren't a year old yet. It is all I have to compare to.

I need to learn about Ameraucanas.....I'm all ears folks.
Kudos for the day, I taught someone how to make her chicks into friendly grown up chickens and just how to scratch their chins and neck feathers. Those little chicks settled right into getting chin and neck rubs.......it's a trick I learned raising parrots......
Bonnie

Hmm. I wouldn't call her a lav- I would say she's a sport white. Recessive whites can actually be similar to that at hatch. Are you hatching more from the same parents? I wonder if you'll get more like her.
I am hatching everything I get right now. There may be a few Lavs in these hatches but the way I have my pens I should only be getting splits right now. When you little roo I hatched grows some I will give him 1 lav pullet from Shaffer and 1 lav split. I may get a few lavs but not many at this point. Keep an eye out. I will brag when I get more. I am trying to get plenty of splits to pick from for the breeding pens. I have one more question though... back to black thing... is that PURE blacks or black splits. I really only wanted to work with splits and lavs not black. I have a pen of blacks now should I keep it that way? They are very nice and typey too.

I have black and black split hens in with a lav roo- that way I know everything I hatch is at least split. I'll take the best from those and breed back to lav and repeat- over and over and over.....
lol.png

If you have really nice blacks that you can spare for a lav project, by all means, use them! Just make sure you can keep track of which chicks are which.

I have black and black split hens in with a lav roo- that way I know everything I hatch is at least split. I'll take the best from those and breed back to lav and repeat- over and over and over.....
lol.png

If you have really nice blacks that you can spare for a lav project, by all means, use them! Just make sure you can keep track of which chicks are which.

That is the only reason I got them
hide.gif

Oh- it sounded like you didn't want to use them because they weren't splits. Misinterpretation!

I was kinda hoping to reduce my pens... they are all full.... Maybe I will hatch some blacks and use the Black roo in my EE pen till I need more Blacks or maybe on of the lav roos... IDK

That may be the case, confusion or relation of colors, but remember that anything can happen. Wheatens have been known to get feathered shanks.

Some Lavs out there are Orpington-like in type and have egg color issues so I wouldn't be too surprised to see white legs happen now and then. It is a dominant trait but not that easy to forget, and added that Lavs are E/E extended black which darkens white shanks to a slate-like color, . . . You see where I'm going?

I agree it's not a huge thing but should never be forgotten.

Perhap Lavs should be based on E/E, but with all the splits being made, some may be ER

From what though? I see so much birchen and ER talk floating around to me it makes no sense, (to me, so perhaps someone help me out here?) as the only Ameraucana with ER are Brown-Reds, which, are pretty rare. The "birchen" talk going around is (no offense, but to me is what it looks like) people's misunderstanding of true crowwing birchen vs a black bird with leakage from carrying recessive genes like Wheaten.

idunno.gif

From what though? I see so much birchen and ER talk floating around to me it makes no sense, (to me, so perhaps someone help me out here?) as the only Ameraucana with ER are Brown-Reds, which, are pretty rare. The "birchen" talk going around is (no offense, but to me is what it looks like) people's misunderstanding of true crowwing birchen vs a black bird with leakage from carrying recessive genes like Wheaten.

idunno.gif

My understanding is self lavender has to be based on E/E (Extended Black). Any red/gold will be turned orange or buff with the double dose of lav/lav that is required to make a lavender bird (which is called for in some breeds but not Ameraucanas.)

The reason you are seeing ER tossed around so much as the base of black birds is because E alone doesn't actually make totally black chickens (black being with the beetle green sheen). The desired black with sheen is only created with additional black enhancers which is why so many black birds can also be based on ER (Birchen). E feather colour is also typically combined with black legs which isn't always desired so they start with ER instead and add inhibitors.

Back
Top Bottom