Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

HA! That shows you how well I listened to anything you told me about them!
gig.gif
At any rate (and whatever they are), I love them. Both of them are sweet as pie, and are very friendly youngsters.

Dana, They are splits, not pure mottleds.

He's really "spindly"; too thin in my opinion or "gamey". Is he free ranging or in a coop and run?

Thanks so much for your feedback!! He's free ranging. He's 1 of my more active cockerels. He and my Penedesenca take the girls pretty far, and this blue boy runs back and forth between the barn/coop and wherever there are girls free ranging for whatever reason. I think he likes to check up on the girls who don't like to leave the coop. That's probably why he's so skinny. They have layer pellets out free choice, but all of my EE's, Ameraucanas, Pene's and Andalusians like to range pretty far rather than eat feed like my others do. Do you think he might still fill out to be a nice cock, or should I look for better lines to use in breeding? I like how well my girls from this line lay, but my son wants to get into showing, so I need to start breeding with that in mind as well. I did butcher his half brother last week, and he dressed out at over 3lbs, skinned. Not sure how that corresponds to live weight. Happy, the blue boy, was the bigger of the 2 anyway, but the other had to go b/c he was half wheaten. Very pretty boy, but not useable for breeding.

speckledhen your birds are really clean and cool looking!
I'm going to pick out my Ameraucana Monday from a small local farm. Im very excited and
alittle nervous this will be my first of four chickens the other three are coming from another small farm.
I really hope I pick good birds and I really hope their is a hen similar in look as your Charlotte.

Cheers
Fresh

I found this thread to ask about willow legs indicating an Ameraucana, but I see from some of the pics that there are plenty without this trait. I'll try and post some pics of mine in the next couple days of some 8 week olds and some 4 week olds that are supposed to be Ameraucana's.....but for now I was hoping that someone could explain about the willow legs and what it indicates if anything? About half of mine have that willow color.

Thanks for helping a newbie to Ameraucana's / EE's?

Back
Top Bottom