Ameraucana vs EE

darbella

Songster
11 Years
Nov 2, 2008
New Hampshire
I recently purchased some eggs as Ameraucana, they were blue eggs. I ordered some hatchery EE chicks also, can someone tell me what the difference is if I am selling some of each. I dont want to tell people the wrong info. Am I correct in thinking that the Ameraucana is a purebred bird that only lays BLUE eggs? and that the EE is a cross of an Ameraucana and another breed to possibly get blue or green eggs? What should I tell someone that wants to buy them and should the price be that different from each other? Thanks!

EE are usually Americaunas crossed with other breeds of chickens and sometimes they are crossed so much that EEs can lay brown or pinkish brown eggs and still be considered EEs. Green eggs are simply blue eggs coated with a layer of brown pigment. If you want to see the TRUE coloring of an egg, look at the inside of the shell. I think if you crossed one Americauna variety with another and got a color not accepted by the APA, it would still be an Americauna. And, yes, Americaunas are supposed to lay only blue eggs. I do not believe that an Americuana that lays a green egg is a disqualification. They are only required to lay a "tinted" egg. Also keep in mind that when advertising, be sure to specify if they are bantams or large fowl since Americaunas and EEs can come in either sizes.

Quote:
Thank you for the help! it is good to know that what I was thiking may be right, actually was. i had been told some conflicting answers from someone else, but wanted to hear it from the Ameraucana people! I tell ya, if ya need an answer regarding poultry, this site is the best!

Back
Top Bottom