Ameraucana x English Orpington

I don't know if this helps but this dude has crossed English Orpingtons with a few different breeds including Ameraucana.

Otherwise, I was digging around and finding that X isn't easy!

Wonder why I didn't see this earlier.

I have my English Orpington x Ameraucanas together with Ameraucana hens.
The most noticeable thing is the size difference. The cross hens are half again as big as pure Ameraucana.
Eggs are a light green, production started with large eggs and is trending bigger as they go.

Cocomo ... F1 chocolate split to mottled (look at her cute saddle spots!)

Cocomo Grass.JPG
Cocomo Gallivanting.JPG

Clancy is an F2 cockerel, he is still growing and at that gangly gawky stage.
He's determined not to take a good picture, and I can't decide which has the most useful amount of bird in it, so here's all of them! lol

Clancy Face.JPG

Clancy Juvenile.JPG
Clancy Front.JPG

Clancy and Smurf.JPG

Wonder why I didn't see this earlier.

I have my English Orpington x Ameraucanas together with Ameraucana hens.
The most noticeable thing is the size difference. The cross hens are half again as big as pure Ameraucana.
Eggs are a light green, production started with large eggs and is trending bigger as they go.

Cocomo ... F1 chocolate split to mottled (look at her cute saddle spots!)

View attachment 3786657View attachment 3786666

Clancy is an F2 cockerel, he is still growing and at that gangly gawky stage.
He's determined not to take a good picture, and I can't decide which has the most useful amount of bird in it, so here's all of them! lol

View attachment 3786677

View attachment 3786673View attachment 3786671

View attachment 3786676
That cross looks pretty good! In my area alot of people want bigger chickens so I was thinking of a more meat orientated EE might sell better down here.

That cross looks pretty good! In my area alot of people want bigger chickens so I was thinking of a more meat orientated EE might sell better down here.

But you end up with a chicken that's too sweet to kill!

They are slow growing. Clancy you can see is still so gangly, just barely starting to look at the hens, and he's 5 months old, lol. It's going to be 2-4 months before he fills out.

I did a side project a while back that I was calling Lego's... English Orpington x Leghorn.
Those grew really fast and in the F2 generation I got some big sized, big breasted birds.
Absolutely no one seemed to want them. I needed their genes because I'm actually working that into the mix for the laying ability. I'm working towards jumbo blue eggs.

Here's KitKat. An F2 from that project. I do not like her tail. And she doesn't have the sweet + clever personality the "Orpaucanas" do, she's aloof but fairly docile. Lays really well.

KitKat2.JPG

With the gang... from front to back: KitKat (F2 Lego), Freckles (F1 Orpaucana), Dovey (Lav Am), Satin (Black Am), Licorice (Am x Mosaic), and Cocomo (F1 Orpaucana).

KitKat Dovey Satin Cocomo.JPG

Back
Top Bottom