1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ameraucanas: How Old Before They Lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Barry Natchitoches, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    I have some Ameraucana pullets (buff, silver, and wheaten) that I got from John Blehm up in Michigan. So these are TRUE Ameraucanas, not Easter Eggers.

Anyway, how old do true Ameraucana's get before they lay their first egg? These gals are almost 18 weeks old now, and I'm wondering if it is time to put nests into their living quarters.

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Mine took a little longer to lay. I think they were around 8 to 10 months before I got my first egg.

3. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Nah, don't be in too much of a hurry. With an occasional exception most large fowl TRUE Ameraucanas don't lay until at LEAST 6 months, but more like 7, and sometimes 8 months old. [​IMG]

4. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    Mine didn;t lay til around 9 months. They are worth the weight though.

5. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    true americauna chickens can take up to 8 months to start laying, grrr, I know, it's frustrating [​IMG]

6. MomofPeeps11

MomofPeeps11 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2011
    Plymouth, MA
    Just got 3 Americauna babies today [​IMG]... was told 7-9 months til they lay their first egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by