Ameraucanas

Quote:
I do not find this 100% accurate. They are still Ameraucanas, they are not a mix of colors and they breed true. They posess all the traits of a SQ Ameraucana and imo some Lavenders are better than SQ ones. I have Cubalayas in Blue Red... they were one of the original imported varieties of Cubalaya. Their popularity didnt spark and they didnt recieve recognition. This does not mean they are 'mutts' until recognition... it means they are an unrecognised veriety within the breed. I agree a first generation cross betweek a Wheaten and Buff is a muttly color, but can be bred towards either of the colors. IMHO an EE either does not contain enough Ameraucana blood to exhibit good type/color, has miscolored eggs and or leggs, or is lacking good muffs and beard. Mostly EE come from a hatchery orginative flock even iff the birds or eggs purchased were not from a hatchery. EE are in all cases a crossbred bird. But if you have a Wheaten Male that has red breast feathers and black hackle stripping that does not constitute it as a mutt or EE, the bird just has a color fault which could have been from two Champion winning birds it just was not good colored.

Quote:
I don't believe this is correct. As soon as you mix colors, the result is no longer recognized as Ameraucana and is, in fact, an EE.

x2 My understanding any ameraucana that does not meet the SOP is considered an EE and not suitable for breeding as a pure Ameraucana. You can have some pure ameraucans that are not standard colors and would then be EE.

Lav breed true and you don't need to use blacks. Blacks are used only to improve the bird (if there is a faulty or dq you want to fix) but not required.

Quote:
I do not find this 100% accurate. They are still Ameraucanas, they are not a mix of colors and they breed true. They posess all the traits of a SQ Ameraucana and imo some Lavenders are better than SQ ones. I have Cubalayas in Blue Red... they were one of the original imported varieties of Cubalaya. Their popularity didnt spark and they didnt recieve recognition. This does not mean they are 'mutts' until recognition... it means they are an unrecognised veriety within the breed. I agree a first generation cross betweek a Wheaten and Buff is a muttly color, but can be bred towards either of the colors. IMHO an EE either does not contain enough Ameraucana blood to exhibit good type/color, has miscolored eggs and or leggs, or is lacking good muffs and beard. Mostly EE come from a hatchery orginative flock even iff the birds or eggs purchased were not from a hatchery. EE are in all cases a crossbred bird. But if you have a Wheaten Male that has red breast feathers and black hackle stripping that does not constitute it as a mutt or EE, the bird just has a color fault which could have been from two Champion winning birds it just was not good colored.

According to Ameraucana standards the simple reality is - if they aren't one of the recognized colours - the AREN'T Ameraucana - regardless of who their parents were. Period. Full stop. Breed a Champion Wheaton Ameraucana to a Champion whatever colour Ameraucana (not Wheaten) you end up with an EE that you MAY argue is a "project" colour but it IS technically an EE.

Lavenders are not, as yet, truly Ameraucanas although MANY are working on them and they are well on their way to be recognized - but - it may never happen.

Lavenders are not, as yet, truly Ameraucanas although MANY are working on them and they are well on their way to be recognized - but - it may never happen.

Thank you to everyone for all the great info! It is/has been an interesting and educational topic!

As for me... if/until the Lavs are recognized, I guess I'll just have some of the prettiest EEs out there!
celebrate.gif

Quote:
I don't believe this is correct. As soon as you mix colors, the result is no longer recognized as Ameraucana and is, in fact, an EE.

x2 My understanding any ameraucana that does not meet the SOP is considered an EE and not suitable for breeding as a pure Ameraucana. You can have some pure ameraucans that are not standard colors and would then be EE.

Lav breed true and you don't need to use blacks. Blacks are used only to improve the bird (if there is a faulty or dq you want to fix) but not required.

Lavs do require breeding to blacks. Anybody that wants to commit to the lavender variety needs to be prepared to cross into them not only to improve type, feather quality and egg color, but for genetic diversity as well.
They have been worked on seriously enough to be considered "project ameraucanas", not EEs. Splash are not an "accepted" color at this time either, but that doesn't make them EEs.

Last edited:
Quote:

Lavs do require breeding to blacks. Anybody that wants to commit to the lavender variety needs to be prepared to cross into them not only to improve type, feather quality and egg color, but for genetic diversity as well.
They have been worked on seriously enough to be considered "project ameraucanas", not EEs. Splash are not an "accepted" color at this time either, but that doesn't make them EEs.

Thank you, as this is what i am trying to say. A crossed color is not neccisarily Crossbred like EE. They are still Ameraucanas. They do not have to be recognised to be a part of that breed. Just like everyone has the itch to get Buff Brahmas... they are Brahmas are they not, they do contain foreign blood, but are still Brahmas. Legbars, Cambars... all these are breeds of chickens, that just happen to be unrecognised... but they are still purebred! This applies to ameraucanas as well. If you breed Lavender to Black is it an EE, no it is still an ameraucana. Splash over Black gives you Blue... but according to some an Pure Blue over Pure Blue gives you 25% EE, that is not true!

I just came across this thread...due in part to not being able to navigate the new BYC yet.

While you can have mixed Ameraucana offspring when improving for type, I would never consider them EE. If you mix Silver and Black (black intended to improve Silver) the F1 offspring would be in "project" stage. Or you could cross a Buff Ameraucana Rooster to White Hens...you would end up with some buff chicks that could be bred back to buff to strengthen color. The F1's would technically be true to type in everything but the color....

An Easter Egger is mixing an Ameraucana (or Araucana) to any other breed and getting offspring for the purpose of colored eggs, NOT type. Generally speaking, EE's are of unknown parentage that lay blue/green eggs. I have several EE's in my flock and happen to know the parentage.

Other breeds of chickens have been introduced into Ameraucanas to create new colors and varieties (Lavender in this case). The initial cross of Black Ameraucana to say Lavender Orpington would in fact be considered an EE, but with the direction and intention of a project color be classified as a "project Ameraucana"...with the subsequent purpose of breeding for type. There is enough interest and more breeders breeding these "project Lavender Ameraucanas", and it is understood that with continued efforts and diligent breeding this WILL be a recognized color!

Also, as far as breeding Lav to Blue, it is not advised due to BOTH being recessive genes. Blue is a diluter. For those just starting with Lavender, it would be highly recommended to breed back to Black. It is a simple and fool proof plan. To breed for Lavender you need 2 copies of the lavender gene (both parents) for the Lavender color to be expressed in the offspring.

Check the ameraucana.org website (HappyMtn gave you this good advice), and one further, look for Paul Smith. He has some excellent Black Ameraucanas.

While you can have mixed Ameraucana offspring when improving for type, I would never consider them EE. If you mix Silver and Black (black intended to improve Silver) the F1 offspring would be in "project" stage. Or you could cross a Buff Ameraucana Rooster to White Hens...you would end up with some buff chicks that could be bred back to buff to strengthen color. The F1's would technically be true to type in everything but the color....

An Easter Egger is mixing an Ameraucana (or Araucana) to any other breed and getting offspring for the purpose of colored eggs, NOT type. Generally speaking, EE's are of unknown parentage that lay blue/green eggs. I have several EE's in my flock and happen to know the parentage.

Other breeds of chickens have been introduced into Ameraucanas to create new colors and varieties (Lavender in this case). The initial cross of Black Ameraucana to say Lavender Orpington would in fact be considered an EE, but with the direction and intention of a project color be classified as a "project Ameraucana"...with the subsequent purpose of breeding for type. There is enough interest and more breeders breeding these "project Lavender Ameraucanas", and it is understood that with continued efforts and diligent breeding this WILL be a recognized color!

You may not consider them EE's but the sad fact is, technically, AND according to the Ameraucana Breeders Club, they ARE EE's if they aren't one of the recognized and accepted varieties. Regardless of whether or not the parentage is known. Call them "projects", whatever you want. At the end of the day they aren't "Ameraucanas". The other REALLY sad fact is, lavenders are never likely to be accepted simply because of the name. That has been said over and over by the APA.
sad.png

Sorry, I strongly disagree. Also, the term Lavender only seems to be an issue with the ABA...apparently the American Bantam Association are the ones that have issue with the term lavender. They feel it should be called Self Blue. The APA will likely be on board with our club wanting to call our birds Lavender.

Edited to add: We need to have breeders who have EXCELLENT specimens that have been working on this for 5 plus years, and present/submit those birds to represent the Lavender color to be voted on for approval.
You may not consider them EE's but the sad fact is, technically, AND according to the Ameraucana Breeders Club, they ARE EE's if they aren't one of the recognized and accepted varieties. Regardless of whether or not the parentage is known. Call them "projects", whatever you want. At the end of the day they aren't "Ameraucanas". The other REALLY sad fact is, lavenders are never likely to be accepted simply because of the name. That has been said over and over by the APA.
sad.png

Last edited:
Sorry, I strongly disagree. Also, the term Lavender only seems to be an issue with the ABA...apparently the American Bantam Association are the ones that have issue with the term lavender. They feel it should be called Self Blue. The APA will likely be on board with our club wanting to call our birds Lavender.

Edited to add: We need to have breeders who have EXCELLENT specimens that have been working on this for 5 plus years, and present/submit those birds to represent the Lavender color to be voted on for approval.
Quote:

I sincerely doubt the APA will be "on board" with using the term "lavender". Perhaps there are members willling to help you find a way around it??? So far, there are NO "lavender" birds in the SOP as far as I know.
hmm.png

Seems silly to me to be so stuck on a word when everyone else uses "self-blue".
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom