Ameraucauna Vrs Easter Egger! Such a "Raw Nerve" with some folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Honestly didn't know the difference. Thought bantam was a breed not a size!
lau.gif
hugs.gif
back at you!
big_smile.png

Ok, well then, allow me to "educate"...bantam is a size, it's like a mini in the dog world, large fowl = standard poodle, bantam = mini poodle. Though there are a few breeds that are "true bantams" which means there is no large fowl version of them (silkies, d'anvers, d'uccles to name a few).
wink.png

Quote:
And I learned something new here. I thought that 'true' Arcauana (or maybe it was Ameraucana) were all 'tail-less'. And yes I have EE's that were sold to me as Ameraucanas at the feed and seed store. But I had already done some research, and I knew they were EE's. However, my only desire was to have chickens that layed the pretty blue or green eggs, and that is what I got!

Quote:
I think if you went by whether or not something is "bred to standard", then you probably can't get a pure bred of ANY breed at a hatchery, generally speaking. This distinction is in other breeds, too. Hatchery stock of ANY breed generally bears little resemblance to the "real deal", why are Ameraucanas so special that their hatchery version gets it's own name?!

LOL, just playing devil's advocate, sort of....but I guess it's a valid point!

here is what gets me going, I have EE's and show winning Ameraucanas, black and white, my whites often through chicks with green legs and some with black feathers. Now correct me if I am wrong but don't other standardized birds sometimes through off colors or other traits not accepted for show and if they do, are they considered mutts or just lesser quality birds of that breed, so are my white ameraucaunas with green legs or a black feather or two now easter eggers or just lesser quality ameraucaunas? I'm so cornfused lol, to be honest, I don't even care what people call them, I love them all, and just for kicks, I am developing a line of birds that lay a pink egg, that otta tick em off lol

I too own both Ameraucanas and EEs . . . and I would caution folks not to read too much into a simple correction someone posts on a thread. Stating a fact (as per the Ameraucana Club standard) is not the same as making a personal judgment on someone's birds.

- Jenski, proud American Mutt who does not herself conform to breed standards
wink.png

Quote:
I think if you went by whether or not something is "bred to standard", then you probably can't get a pure bred of ANY breed at a hatchery, generally speaking. This distinction is in other breeds, too. Hatchery stock of ANY breed generally bears little resemblance to the "real deal", why are Ameraucanas so special that their hatchery version gets it's own name?!

LOL, just playing devil's advocate, sort of....but I guess it's a valid point!

Because hatchery "Ameraucanas" aren't even an accepted color. If you get a hatchery rhode island red, it's still a single combed red bird with yellow legs that lays big brown eggs, it's probably quite a bit lighter red than what is desired for showing, but it's still a rhode island red. Same with a barred plymouth rock, it's barring is probably less than desireable, but it's still a black and white striped bird, it's not blue and white, or red and white...and if they cross rhode island reds or barred plymouth rocks with something else, you get sex links, they don't still try to sell them to you as rhode island reds or barred plymouth rocks.

Quote:
Yep, they're called sports. That's how the white marans variety came about. They originated from some cuckoo marans who just happen to throw some white offspring.

Quote:
Hmmm......... a muffed and bearded bird that lays pink eggs, neat! Wait a minute.... I think someone already beat you to it. Aren't those called Salmon Faverolles?
gig.gif

Quote:
Hey cool, I have an EE that lays pink eggs! And it has little white speckles on it. So I have her in with an Ameraucana rooster to give the chicks the blue egg gene, and hoping they will lay lavender eggs!!
fl.gif

HI,

As a new hen owner, one of my new hens is a five month old "Americauna" who was sold to me as a "purebred". She has laid the pretty green egg you see here in the group the past 4/5 days. Can you tell me what is her coloration called, please?

She is warming up to me, and is a beauty whatever she may be!

65263_ameraucana_first_day.jpg

Quote:
She's an EE, (read that to say that she is not one of the "accepted" colors of true Ameraucanas)...she kind of has a buff columbian thing going on, but with the darker color all over her back, I don't know that there is a specific color in any breed that we could pin this one on...

She is VERY pretty! I'd be curious to know who sold her to you...though it may be a case of someone bought "Ameraucanas" from a feed store, and truly believes they have purebred Ameraucanas, and are then selling their chicks as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom