Ameraucauna Vrs Easter Egger! Such a "Raw Nerve" with some folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
She's got the poultry fever!
wee.gif
You would probably love the Easter Egger thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=273489&p=1. There are lots and lots of pictures of Easter Eggers over there. The fun of Easter Eggers is you have no idea what genetic potential they may be masking behind their appearance; the only way to find out is to try some matings and see what the offspring look like. There are a bunch of these "experiments' detailed over on the thread. Fun, fun, fun!

For example...... a hen looking very similar to your girl there and a snow white Ameraucana rooster produced this fellow here, Laurant.

46473_laurant.jpg

Who would have guessed it?
This guy is out of Katythechickenlady's birds.

Last edited:
Quote:
I like the idea, at one time the Labrador Retriever was called the Lesser Newfoundland Dog and the Newfie of today was called the Greater Newfoundland Dog. The Lab folks didn't like the name. Changed it and the breed is still the same.

Quote:
I like the idea, at one time the Labrador Retriever was called the Lesser Newfoundland Dog and the Newfie of today was called the Greater Newfoundland Dog. The Lab folks didn't like the name. Changed it and the breed is still the same.

I like that too. I wish more people would adopt that thinking. But we probably won't be able to change this problem. This has been going on since the 70's, so I guess we are just going to have to deal with it and try to educate.

Quote:
WOW!! Laurent is totally gorgeous! Could I possilby get his fertilzed eggs from you when my next hen goes broody??? Trade $, wine, or jam??!!

Dulciinea is the hen that purrs to me the most, and has the coolest inquisitive mind. (OK, maybe that's a bit of a stretch...she is a chicken!) She'll follow me all over to see what I might lead her to, and comes over to hang out when I am out reading a book, planning the fall garden, etc in my deck chair!

I have an EE, sold to me by a feedstore as an Americauna (note the I) and I was also told she'd lay blue eggs. (before I knew better and joined BYC) They were wrong on both counts, she's an EE and lays a green egg. Doesn't matter to me, I love her anyway.

I also have 4 pure Ameraucana's (no I) and I love them as well. Plus they give me blue eggs.

I don't think I've ever answered anyone in a rude manner, but I do think some people get tired of the misrepresentation of the hatcheries (or private people selling- I've seen Ameraucana's listed on Craigslist that are actually EE's) telling someone they are getting something they are not.

I just call all mine "chickens"------easiest to spell, and non-chicken people don't really care about the breed, they just want to know I take good care of my chickens and can keep providing them with fresh eggs!
smile.png

Of course, if people ASK, I am always happy to explain the different breeds I have, and usually end up going into some story about some chicken that I find uproariously hilarious, but that the person just politely smiles about and walks away muttering something about "Crazy chicken lady......." LOL
lau.gif

Last edited:
By the way, here is my EE roo..................................
64357_peter.jpg
Wish I had some better photos of him on here. Hopefully, I'll have a lot of new photos this coming week!!

Oh and I forgot to add: Do not ever, ever, ever believe what the feed store people tell you. I had one girl at the feedstore tell me that BCM's do not have feathered shanks.
lol.png

Quote:
Yeah, it is AMAZING to me how many people take what the feedstore or petstore people tell you as gospel. They do not need to have ANY special training to get their jobs, and yet, they are doling out advice like candy on Halloween...
somad.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom