American Bresse

Here's the "baby" of the group. Super crier unless I'm near

Attachments

• IMG_20230630_171516685.jpg
    IMG_20230630_171516685.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 7
Bresse chickens have bones that are lighter and thinner than other breeds. Almost dainty, in some descriptions. I'll do well to remember that the next time George attacks me in the pen, if I want him to survive long enough to give me some chicks.

He's just 16-ish weeks old, in a small pen with three pullets the same age. He tried a test attack about a week ago, so I've been on my guard since. This morning, a full-on attack - not once, but three times - only stopping when I booted him into the chain-link fence.

Once I get some fertilized eggs from that b@5stard, he's going into my smoker. I don't tolerate a bully rooster, no matter the breed.

Good thing I've got a backup cockerel, recently integrated into my main flock of heritage birds, who (so far) is showing good behavior.

I can see the first egg from the Bresse girls, in the back of their hutch! They are actually 19 weeks old (I miscalculated earlier). Only problem is, I can't reach it because of the way I built that hutch! :smack
To get it, and anything else they lay today, I'll have to put a cup on the end of a stick, duck into the hutch as far as I can, and hope to scoop it up. Meanwhile, George will certainly be whacking away at my backside. :lau
This ought to be fun.....

I can see the first egg from the Bresse girls, in the back of their hutch! They are actually 19 weeks old (I miscalculated earlier). Only problem is, I can't reach it because of the way I built that hutch! :smack
To get it, and anything else they lay today, I'll have to put a cup on the end of a stick, duck into the hutch as far as I can, and hope to scoop it up. Meanwhile, George will certainly be whacking away at my backside. :lau
This ought to be fun.....
1688946981084.png

So this is the color of my Bresse eggs. It's a first pullet egg, so for those who are new to chickens, it IS very small - but as the girls grow and mature, so will their eggs.

To reach it in the back of the hutch, I used a measuring cup taped to a long stick. For George, I carried one of those brush things you use to clean ceiling fan blades, a soft one, like this:
1688947203760.png

and it scared the bejeebers out of him. I didn't even have to wave it at him, Just held it by my feet and he just about climbed the fence to get away from it :lau

Back
Top Bottom