American Bresse

Since I took all the extra roos away from the Bresse pullets they have gone into high gear laying and the eggs are now a nice large size and very uniform. 7 pullets laid 6 eggs today. I need to get the incubator out and go ahead and set 41 eggs and maybe get enough pullets to start another coop of Bresse as well as a few for the freezer.

Wow! This is so neat. I haven't done meat birds yet, but these guys are on my radar, for sure. What will you be looking for in deciding who to keep back for your breeding flock? Are they in the American SOP yet? (Not that I have a copy anyway lol)
I don't know if they are in the American SOP yet or not and it will not concern me. I just want mine to have the longest breast and wider across the backs and breast. Simply more structure to hang meat on. I have more interest in crossing them with my Dark Cornish right now than anything else.

As soon as my White Giant girls start laying I want to cross the American Bresse onto them too. Then the AB x DC to the AB x WG for a 3 way cross. Big and meaty with a decent lay rate.
maybe you can answer this for me. I was told crossing bresse with any other chicken wouldnt give me the same wonderful meat that this breed is know for. is that true?

maybe you can answer this for me. I was told crossing bresse with any other chicken wouldnt give me the same wonderful meat that this breed is know for. is that true?
I do not know the answer yet. We are working on that. Here is some info on what Bresse should look like and links to how they should be finished to have the high quality meat they are know for in France: https://greenfirefarms.com/american_bresse.html

Here is a link to a series of videos following Bresse x Cornish Cross development that I found very interesting. Even the finished product read for the freezer.

I do not know the answer yet. We are working on that. Here is some info on what Bresse should look like and links to how they should be finished to have the high quality meat they are know for in France: https://greenfirefarms.com/american_bresse.html

Here is a link to a series of videos following Bresse x Cornish Cross development that I found very interesting. Even the finished product read for the freezer.
for giggles i wanted to cross bresse with jersey giants XD

for giggles i wanted to cross bresse with jersey giants XD
That should be a really good cross. Both have blue legs you know. I have White Jersey Giants starting to crow so soon I can use a WJG roo on my Bresse hens. Thinking maybe a Sept or Oct hatch. What I really want to do is create a 3/8 CxR, 3/8 Bresse/ 1/4 WJG. Lots of hybrid vigor, good for laying, frying, roasting. My CxR hens are not bad a laying large/jumbo eggs.

That should be a really good cross. Both have blue legs you know. I have White Jersey Giants starting to crow so soon I can use a WJG roo on my Bresse hens. Thinking maybe a Sept or Oct hatch. What I really want to do is create a 3/8 CxR, 3/8 Bresse/ 1/4 WJG. Lots of hybrid vigor, good for laying, frying, roasting. My CxR hens are not bad a laying large/jumbo eggs.
definitely gotta tell me how those come out

So updated pics. Ignore the second ones fluffy butt in the front XD

Attachments

• IMG_20230725_185302247_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230725_185302247_HDR.jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230725_184719992.jpg
    IMG_20230725_184719992.jpg
    525.5 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom