American(Buff, Blue, Lavander,etc.)goose thread! Post pics!

Dootadoo, I lost my beloved American Buff pet goose, Jupiter, when she was just shy of turning 4 months old. I understand your pain all too well. She died July of last year. I want geese again, but haven't gotten any yet, mostly because it feels too much like I'm replacing her. Next year spring I think I will be ready. They have a special way of latching onto our hearts. Hugs to you.

finally got a new camera still working the kinks out of it here are the storm troopers ha hoping to add a female lilac to the group this fall.to replace the one I lost.

well I was just informed by Holderread that no lilac is available . boo hoo . my question is if I get 4 African babies in the spring will my American's take them as there own even though they are different breed? they did when my buffs were babies. I am going to try and hatch my blues eggs out this year. another question is what incubators is good for geese does Brinsea have one big enough for geese eggs.

well I was just informed by Holderread that no lilac is available . boo hoo . my question is if I get 4 African babies in the spring will my American's take them as there own even though they are different breed? they did when my buffs were babies. I am going to try and hatch my blues eggs out this year. another question is what incubators is good for geese does Brinsea have one big enough for geese eggs.
I can fit 9 goose eggs into my Brinsea Octagon 20. However, my hatch rates were much, much better under a broody hen. I've heard Muscovy ducks are the best for hatching goose eggs.

Thanks bramblefir I don't have any Muscovy's my momma duck recently passed. my chickens are to small they are Easter eggers. I lost my buff goose while setting this pass spring thats why I needed another goose to replace her. I don't want the ganders to over breed the one goose. that's why I ordered an adult but that is not going to happen. Holderread only has a pair of blues that he offered ,I don't need another gander.

Thanks bramblefir I don't have any Muscovy's my momma duck recently passed. my chickens are to small they are Easter eggers. I lost my buff goose while setting this pass spring thats why I needed another goose to replace her. I don't want the ganders to over breed the one goose. that's why I ordered an adult but that is not going to happen. Holderread only has a pair of blues that he offered ,I don't need another gander.
I'm sorry for your loss. My gander passed away in the spring, but I was able to hatch out 3 of their eggs and now have a flock of 6. As far as broody hens, I figure 1 goose egg = 4 chicken eggs. If your EE's can cover 8-9 chicken eggs than they can manage 2 goose eggs. I had one of my larger hens hatch out the 3 goslings for me last year - she could sit on 12-15 chicken eggs.

At this point in the year the geese should already have picked their mates for the year and are unlikely to accept a new addition (breeding-wise) unless they have absolutely no choice. I think your dominant gander will keep the subordinate gander from bothering the goose.

Yes your Americans will accept any breed of waterfowl they love babies.. I am so sorry you lost one of your females @donkeydew2farms i didn't know that.
sad.png

Thanks Bramblefir I hope so right now both ganders are very protective of the one female. the buff is young still so I hope your right. and thanks Miss Lydia I just e mail holderread farms and I hoping to get a pair of buff Africans and a pair of brown Africans. I am going to hatch out I hope some blues if so any females I will replace molly mike's mate.

Thanks Bramblefir I hope so right now both ganders are very protective of the one female. the buff is young still so I hope your right. and thanks Miss Lydia I just e mail holderread farms and I hoping to get a pair of buff Africans and a pair of brown Africans. I am going to hatch out I hope some blues if so any females I will replace molly mike's mate.
It's so sweet how much geese love to care for babies. Mine didn't hatch this year but my Muscovy's hatched Runners and Buffs and those geese were in love from the start and after mama muscovy decided to let her youngsters go the geese would hang around them all the time like they were still watching over them..

Look forward to seeing new gosling in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom