American(Buff, Blue, Lavander,etc.)goose thread! Post pics!

Just got two little goslings. After vent sexing I believe we have a gander and goose! We are so excited and the wee ones are super sweet.

Just purchased 4 Buff gosslings about two weeks old now. Don't have any idea what sex they are and will not attempt vent sexing them. Just wait and see but, so excited to have them and this forum with all the great information!!!:))))) New to geese and the forum but do have a flock of 19 RR reds I raised all from chicks. Looking forward to watching my new Buffs mature!!

A very sad day to find out one of the Fab Four was taken by something over the weekend. I was gone and had a house sitter. Not his fault. No sign of what it could have been. I have had no trouble in loosing any of my flock to coyotes or anything in the three years I have been here. My property is fenced and hotwired and even though I have had some chickens not go up to roost in the evening they have never been bothered. In the summer when it is warm I leave the door ramp down as the chicken house is very warm. I have even left the door open. The yard is fenced. No sign of feathers or blood. Checked the property..no trace of anything just gone. I always checked on them during the day and I find myself doing more so now and not leaving the door ramp down any longer. Whatever happened I hope my baby didn't suffer!!
hit.gif

I am sorry for your lose I know how you feel I just lost my molly but not to a predator . I think she had some defect she never grew to the size of her breed. she almost look like her liver was not functioning . I have 2 males now and 1 female . right now it is not a problem but it may be in the spring next year. I have been looking for a baby but I missed the boat the goose season is over. do you think if I fine an adult will they except her?

Not sure if they will accept her. I may take time and a lot of interaction from you. I've read the best way to raise geese is from goslings. They imprint with you and also depending on the type I understand American Buffs have the most docile personalities. I got lucky in that respect being a first time at having geese. And as it turns out It may have been my pup that got my goose. Only because she couldn't move fast enough to get across the invisible fence I have for my dog. Things happen for a reason. I believe I have two geese and one gander but if they are out of the same hatch they won't be good for breeding. Not sure I really need more geese and they may live to twenty years as it is.

Back
Top Bottom