American(Buff, Blue, Lavander,etc.)goose thread! Post pics!

Both of my girls are laying in the same nest. both are being bred by the blue gander fred. I want to put some eggs up probably going to use the Farm incubator . do I use the same temps and humidity as the ducks? do you stand them up right or side ways? I know which eggs are coming from which goose the buff lays smaller eggs then the blue.also do you cool down the eggs my brinsea has a cool down mode it worked great with the duck eggs and during this time is when I added water or candled the eggs.alot of questions never did geese before. thanks.

well I think my young buff decided to start sitting she was on the eggs last night and this morning I am crossing my fingers . I don't know what is going to happen when the Wilma the blue , wants to lay,

there is enough room there for her. I don't think she is done yet.

well I think my young buff decided to start sitting she was on the eggs last night and this morning I am crossing my fingers . I don't know what is going to happen when the Wilma the blue , wants to lay,

there is enough room there for her. I don't think she is done yet.
Nice pic hope to see some gosling I know your excited.

misslydia it was a false alarm she wasn't sitting. I thought the older one would sit this year but nothing yet . I had people wanting eggs but I did not want to sell infertile eggs or eggs that don't go to full term. That's why I was inquiring about a Muscovy hen to incubate some of the eggs. I want to hatch some to see if every thing is ok.does that sound dumb to you. I still want my girls to do there thing at there own time. they sure are getting cranky I got it in the butt yesterday. I have duck eggs in the incubator right now but the weather can be very stormy this time of year I lost my power the other week end for three hours lucky it was not real cold but nerve wrecking. Thanks for your advice.

misslydia it was a false alarm she wasn't sitting. I thought the older one would sit this year but nothing yet . I had people wanting eggs but I did not want to sell infertile eggs or eggs that don't go to full term. That's why I was inquiring about a Muscovy hen to incubate some of the eggs. I want to hatch some to see if every thing is ok.does that sound dumb to you. I still want my girls to do there thing at there own time. they sure are getting cranky I got it in the butt yesterday. I have duck eggs in the incubator right now but the weather can be very stormy this time of year I lost my power the other week end for three hours lucky it was not real cold but nerve wrecking. Thanks for your advice.
I think Muscovy females would be ideal to hatch you some gosling.. Just don't put any Muscovy eggs under them at the same time. I decided not to let either of my geese brood this year, I'd be crazy to add any more to my flock they way the ganders are acting towards everyone. Sam my Embden gander has bit me more times this year than in his whole life here and he is almost 9 yrs old on the 27th of this month. He is something else.

Keep us updated on how it goes.

I hope it's okay to ask these questions here...

Are American Buff geese loud all the time, or just when there's reason to honk, like a visitor or some such. I'm reading they are calm...

I'm also reading they will "eat weeds." This is a big interest of mine. Will they eat our grass/lawn? (hoping so) and will they truly eat only the weeds in the garden or the entire garden?

We have Muscovies and mallards. I'd like a couple of geese for alarms, eating the lawn, and being friendly. What I don't want is a loud, rude goose. We intend to give them lots of love and attention from the get go.

Open to recommendations for raising right or other, better breeds. So far the American Buff is looking like the goose.

Thanks!

I hope it's okay to ask these questions here...

Are American Buff geese loud all the time, or just when there's reason to honk, like a visitor or some such. I'm reading they are calm...

I'm also reading they will "eat weeds." This is a big interest of mine. Will they eat our grass/lawn? (hoping so) and will they truly eat only the weeds in the garden or the entire garden? 

We have Muscovies and mallards. I'd like a couple of geese for alarms, eating the lawn, and being friendly. What I don't want is a loud, rude goose. We intend to give them lots of love and attention from the get go. 

Open to recommendations for raising right or other, better breeds. So far the American Buff is looking like the goose. 

Thanks! 

Buffs and pilgrims are the quietest I think. But geese are individuals and don't always follow breed "rules". They will eat your lawn, and can and will turn it into mud if it's not enough space.

My blues and Buffs are quite except when some one enters there pen they are very protective of there area, they do eat grass and weeds but they ate some of my garden plants. when they are out of there pen they follow me around I have to watch were I go they followed me to the road one day I did not know they were behind me. and they walk in a single file behind me they make me laugh. I would recommend them. good luck.

I love my buffs. They are not always loud. Mine get excited when I am outside and see me or they alert when someone is here or something is out of the ordinary. The females are not loud unless they have goslings. My gander Boris is loud especially during the breeding season.

Back
Top Bottom