American Lingo

my favorite British:
Brollie/bumbershoot=umbrella
Pram/perambulator=baby carriage (I think the "old fashioned kind from my youth rather than today's strollers, but not sure)

gig.gif

Now I'm thinking about Jeff Foxworthy - he cracks me up - all the blue collar guys do...

How bout:
Initiate.

First she ate a loaf of bread, initiate a dozen eggs...

gig.gif

I LOVE those wildsky!! how about these......
lol.png

mayonaise-mayonaise alot people here tonite

witchadicha- you did'nt bring your truck witchadicha?

innuendo- hey I just saw a bird fly innuendo

Got a giggle out of reading these. I was born and raised in Australia to an English Mum and Latvian Dad. My husband is from Kentucky so yes nobody can understand my poor kids. Yesterday my 4 year old son's preschool teacher suggested he may need speech therapy ( for real ). I couldn't help but laugh.

I know in Australia "candy" means lollies or what the English call "sweets"

I'm in Texas and was born and raised here, never left. Same with my mom. My grandparents came from elsewhere. My grandma was born in Oklahoma and her family moved to California when she was young. My grandpa was born in Kansas and his family moved to Oregon when he was young.

That being said, my grandparents and my mother use "worsh" as opposed to "wash" (like I use). For example, "Go worsh your hands" or "He lives in Worshington." Don't know why I didn't end up saying it like them
idunno.gif

My grandpa always said Oregon like "Ore-GONE," but down here I always hear it like "Ore-GUN" - which is how I say it.

I've also hear Missouri said "Mussurah" and Mississippi said "Missisip" (edited to add ->) Oh! I forgot, Louisiana as my grandma called it was "Luziana."

Hmmm....let's see...

I must not be a real Texan because I can't say "y'all." Any time I try to make fun of it it comes out "you all." The word (if you call it that) "ain't" hurts my ears to tell the truth, and for some reason when the word "coffee" comes out of my mouth it sounds more like "cwaffy" Try saying it like that in Texas and see how much you're made fun of LOL I get called a Yank (also known as Yankee) more than you know.

I do call every "soda, pop, sodapop, etc." a coke. Doesn't matter what it is. If someone asks you if you want tea you should expect it cold and sweet. People kind of look at you funny if you ask for it unsweetened.

That's about all I can think of for now.

Last edited:
Quote:
That's exactly how I say it! Now I avoid saying arn if at all possible because my SO, an arkie boy, teases me about it. Just further proves my point that arkies aren't really southern at all.
old.gif
I also worsh my clothes.

I know this is an old thread but I just had to give this to y'all, straight from a pure backwoods, holler-hoppin, hilljack hillbilly from WV......

http://www.rinkworks.com/dialect/

And, for a real treat, go to redneck.com!

This may keep you entertained for hours!

I thought I had heard all of the WV speech until I moved into these here parts (this area) in the Eastern Panhandle.

Here's a new one for me:

Yo= ewe, female sheep (I'm sure this is mountain talk for the ebonic's "HO") LOL

Lived in RI for a short time and discovered that all "A"s are "R"s and all "R"s become "A"s. Interesting enough, the children in the local high school sounded quite normal in their enunciation, but the adults were atrocious! I asked one of the residents if they were taught normal vowel and consonant sounds in school and they said yes, but later in life everyone starts talking with a New Yorker-type accent. Go figure!

BTW, we say "pop" more than we use Coke but often interchange these and even throw in Pepsi! Never, never soda or soda pop! Soda is what you brush your teeth with when you run out of toothpaste(Never a great danger here!)
lau.gif

I grew up in Ft. Worth, and just moving to San Antonio, there was a big difference in the way people talked.

sandwich is sangwitch
light a cig is to turn on
put out a cig is to turn off
are you getting down? is are you getting out? like out of the car
and there is alot of Spanish spoken here, it's really just mixed in with everyday talk (even if you never spoke it, you acclimate)

Also, when I lived in NM...a lot of people would say eeee-NO! Instead of just NO. (Mostly the Hispanic community). It was like they were falling of a cliff or something...

Eeeeeee-NO! Odd, huh? Hey, NM people here...can you explain that too?

The eee part is like the beginning of saying "Hijo De La ******" like saying son of a " " and not finishing it.​

Back
Top Bottom