American Meat Maker from Mt. Healthy

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bishopschickens, Mar 10, 2011.

1. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Songster

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    Has anyone ever ordered these from Mt. Healthy? Are they actually a meat bird or are they unwanted Rooster of variouse heavy breeds? Any help it greatly appreciated.

2. Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Tiffrz-N-Kidz Songster

Jul 29, 2010
    Aledo, TX
    They are leftovers. I got 100 ameraucanas in my order.

3. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Songster

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    Yeah, I called them and asked this morning. I don t need to raise RIR and Barred Rock for meat birds. I can get those free and full grown. Those are soup birds not meat birds.

4. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

Feb 19, 2012
    monroe county indiana
    My Coop
    Yes they are extra roosters of the dual purpose type. I will ask if anyone has ever tried to raise them out in chicken tractors and little or no extra "treats" or feed just pasture raised. From what I read on other threads there is at best 1 or 2 hens usually none. makes me wonder if the hatcheries can actually be 99.99% accurate but choose to be only 90 or 95% accurate. unless they send you auto sex bird how can they get 100 or 200 bird order all male?????

5. MrsAngelaBrown

MrsAngelaBrown Hatching

Feb 10, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Thinking about ordering these for next month. Was hoping it would be a mix, but it looks like they could be just one breed. Maybe I should read up on ameraucanas and see if I like them.

6. Phoenixxx

Phoenixxx Songster

Ameraucanas are small. I have one ameraucana hen and she's smaller than my 16-week-old mixed-large-breed chicks and about a third the size of my brahma/orp x roo. I would not bother with them for meat. On the other hand, a portion of my flock are crosses of 25-50% ameraucana, with the other 50-75% being australorp and/or marans; those birds took on the size of the large breed, with the one mixed hen being only slightly smaller than the marans hens.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: