American Meat Maker from Mt. Healthy

Yeah, I called them and asked this morning. I don t need to raise RIR and Barred Rock for meat birds. I can get those free and full grown. Those are soup birds not meat birds.

Yes they are extra roosters of the dual purpose type. I will ask if anyone has ever tried to raise them out in chicken tractors and little or no extra "treats" or feed just pasture raised. From what I read on other threads there is at best 1 or 2 hens usually none. makes me wonder if the hatcheries can actually be 99.99% accurate but choose to be only 90 or 95% accurate. unless they send you auto sex bird how can they get 100 or 200 bird order all male?????

Thinking about ordering these for next month. Was hoping it would be a mix, but it looks like they could be just one breed. Maybe I should read up on ameraucanas and see if I like them.

Thinking about ordering these for next month.  Was hoping it would be a mix, but it looks like they could be just one breed.  Maybe I should read up on ameraucanas and see if I like them.

Ameraucanas are small. I have one ameraucana hen and she's smaller than my 16-week-old mixed-large-breed chicks and about a third the size of my brahma/orp x roo. I would not bother with them for meat. On the other hand, a portion of my flock are crosses of 25-50% ameraucana, with the other 50-75% being australorp and/or marans; those birds took on the size of the large breed, with the one mixed hen being only slightly smaller than the marans hens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom