American serama thread!

I am gonna be buying some Seramas very soon. While cruising through many of the "Serama" threads I saw a photo of a cage that was inside some one's house. It had some nice angles on what I think was a two-part roof. If I remember right, it was a woman who made it. It seemed like it wouldda been kinda simple to build. I would like to keep some birds in the house but, I can't be spending a ton on cages and, my wife ain't going for some ole junky cage in the den! And, this cage was plenty nice enough for having in the house. I have searched for 3 hours already and can't find it.

A couple of my grand-daughters want some Seramas and, were over when I ran across the photo. And, they want me to build them each a set-up like this also.

If this sounds/seems familiar to anyone and, you have any pictures of this cage or any other nice homemade cages, please PM me or show them here.

Well After a long and Bumpy Road I think I am well on my wat to starting my line of this beautiful color seramas, I have an adult pair that throw this color 80 % of the time and will Be closing the line for a few generations to lock in the color, I have a bit to work on But I am PROUD to say I did this with birds I had In my flock... These two are 3 months old and Have both type and a neat color Never been handled until today!!!

hello again.
needed oppinions on one more bird. this little one is a super cute silkie serama that i am looking at. she is 4 months old, and obviously not standing to her full potential. please remember that pet quality is fine with me. i just want to make sure that i am not dooped again, and really appreciate the oppinion of people more knowledgable than myself. the couple who bred this bird has assured me that she is 100% pure and that her parents are on site. thank you all again.
big_smile.png

Honey seramas don't have crests. Ever. .
True silkied seramas have feathers that lack barbels but are identical to true seramas in every other way.
I really wish you were closer I have some birds that would be good starter birds but it would cost about $50 just to ship them.

Last edited:
I am gonna be buying some Seramas very soon.  While cruising through many of the "Serama" threads I saw a photo of a cage that was inside some one's house.  It had some nice angles on what I think was a two-part roof.  If I remember right, it was a woman who made it.  It seemed like it wouldda been kinda simple to build.  I would like to keep some birds in the house but, I can't be spending a ton on cages and, my wife ain't going for some ole junky cage in the den!  And, this cage was plenty nice enough for having in the house.  I have searched for 3 hours already and can't find it. 

A couple of my grand-daughters want some Seramas and, were over when I ran across the photo.  And, they want me to build them each a set-up like this also.

If this sounds/seems familiar to anyone and, you have any pictures of this cage or any other nice homemade cages, please PM me or show them here.  

I went looking via google and found a nice pen, but then my touchpad spontainiously rebooted and when I googled again, it didn't come up :(. But the. Again, I don't think there was a two part roof... Sorry!

ElenaLorraine, I don't understand why you would rather have a Serama than those beautiful girls you already have?. I know they were incorrectly identified, but they are so much prettier than the Seramas you are finding! Are they unfriendly? They should be very similar in size? It's just that you say you are only looking for pet quality and... Well I'm just confused! Your girls are so pretty!

ElenaLorraine, I don't understand why you would rather have a Serama than those beautiful girls you already have?. I know they were incorrectly identified, but they are so much prettier than the Seramas you are finding! Are they unfriendly? They should be very similar in size? It's just that you say you are only looking for pet quality and... Well I'm just confused! Your girls are so pretty!

One of them ended up being really agressive and had to be separated from my flock. The other I will be keeping. She is beautiful and friendly. I still really really want to own a serama, and don't want to pay an arm and a leg to get one. Also, I don't drive and have no way of getting to LA from SD to get one from a good breeder. I am holding out hope of finding one here in SD. The man I am talking to about the last bird I posted says that the crest is a naturally occuring mutation that is recessive. I just am not as knowledgeable as others. I will be going to look at her parents soon. He says she is tiny. A class A hen. He says that her mother has the silkie gene present but not crossed.

hello again.
needed oppinions on one more bird. this little one is a super cute silkie serama that i am looking at. she is 4 months old, and obviously not standing to her full potential. please remember that pet quality is fine with me. i just want to make sure that i am not dooped again, and really appreciate the oppinion of people more knowledgable than myself. the couple who bred this bird has assured me that she is 100% pure and that her parents are on site. thank you all again.
big_smile.png

I'm thinking that chick is a cross between a pure Silkie and a pure Serama. When my Silkie boy gets out to mix it up with the layer flock hens, the chicks look a lot like this one. They usually become beautiful and docile/friendly birds...but look nothing like either parent.

I'm thinking that chick is a cross between a pure Silkie and a pure Serama.  When my Silkie boy gets out to mix it up with the layer flock hens, the chicks look a lot like this one.  They usually become beautiful and docile/friendly birds...but look nothing like either parent.

I asked the breeder if she was mixed with a silkie, and he says she is not. He tells me that the mother has the silkie gene present but is not a mix. From what I have read, seramas with crests did appear once in a while when they were first imported because of poor breeding. Maybe this is a very recessive mutation of some sort. Something like a rump less? I should be going to look at its parents within the next couple of days and will post pictures. I don't know what to think about this one really. She is cute though, and from what I hear she's tiny, that crest just stumps me....:/

Back
Top Bottom