American serama thread!

Sorry, artsyrobin, the only way to know for certain is to crack it open and look for that flattened bulls eye or wait a few days in the incubator until you see veins.

Tripp16, I keep hearing that Seramas can hatch all size birds, and even the egg size doesn't matter. But I have no personal experience with this....yet ;)
Thanks, lets hope so! My rooster isnt the smallest but hey! Its a start. :)

Hey guys, my first Serama has pipped. It was early as the temprature in my incubator was running a little high. It pipped and did a little chipping away, but has stopped. The first pip was a little over 24 hrs ago. Should I be concerned? I don't know if I should leave it, or try to help it out. None of the other eggs have pipped yet. When should I try and help? I know that is a debated issue to help or not help. It just seems to be taking a lot longer than normal.

I have a question. I just got into Seramas and have a pair and one Cockerel Im looking for a hen for.

My question is, can my rooster breed smaller chicks? Or will they all be his size? The cockerel (his son) is much smaller but it may be because he isnt full grown. What do you guys think? Thanks!
I'm pretty much a serama newbie myself, but from what I've read a B pair (for example) can result in anything from micro/A up to Cs, with mostly Bs resulting. So maybe if your roo is a largish C, you could pair him with an A??? And I'd presume the size of the "grandparents" would play into this too. For example, if two large C seramas produced an A sized rooster, and he was mated to an A or B sized hen (whose parents were also large C sized birds), it seems more likely (to me) that, even though the mated pair are tiny, several larger birds/chicks might result (although I'm sure some would be small like the parents too). Does that make sense, because I think I just confused myself...lol.

I've only hatched three chicks, the roo's a B and the hen a C, and it looks like all three of mine will end up as Cs...go figure.
hu.gif

Most suggest going for type quality before worrying about size...

I find it interesting that so much has been studied on the genetics of color, but not type. I guess there are a lot less genes to deal with when breeding for color and feathers only... Still, would love to know if there is more to it than breading your best type birds together... :/

Wow, so quiet!

I just checked a few of my eggs and they seem to have something going on in there! They're only 2 full days along though, so I don't see actual veins, though I do think I see some pinkness. Can't wait for tomorrow night. These eggs seem to be quite thick, and a little harder to see through than my store bought white leghorn eggs (the only other eggs I've ever candled ;) ) I'm just crossing my fingers that I'm doing everything correctly this time. I've let them settle, then, have them in the incubator for 3 days without turning, then I'll begin turning, which should be nice and smooth as I made a nice turner. I really hope it works this time!
fl.gif

New incubator holding nicely between 99.3 and 100.0 day and night. I'm very happy with it. I also put tubing in so I can add water without opening the lid. If I open the lid but close it quickly, it only looses 0.2 degrees and builds back up next cycle, so really happy with the way this baby turned out! Ended up putting 3 circulating fans in it too!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Yes, unfortunately, mine are only in 48 hours so it's still a bit too soon. I really need to wait until tomorrow night or Sunday to see much :) But so far, my feeling is that something is happening ;) I'm so excited!!! One of them has a huge air sack, plus that sack is completely loose, so I don't hold out much hope for it :( Would it just be older than the others to have such a huge sack? It almost looks large enough to be at 18 days..? It doesn't have much of a chance anyway, so loose and all... but my fingers are crossed for it to make it ;)

Last edited:
Hey guys, my first Serama has pipped. It was early as the temprature in my incubator was running a little high. It pipped and did a little chipping away, but has stopped. The first pip was a little over 24 hrs ago. Should I be concerned? I don't know if I should leave it, or try to help it out. None of the other eggs have pipped yet. When should I try and help? I know that is a debated issue to help or not help. It just seems to be taking a lot longer than normal.
How did the little one make out?
fl.gif

Oh, i hope it survived? Please do let us know. I didn't say anything because I had no advice to give :(

I just looked at some of my eggs and did see one with spider veins, which is a great start at only 2 days old. I've had them sitting upright for these two days, and feel that the yolks aren't moving as they should, so I've decided to go ahead an start rocking (turning) them. Hopefully a gentle turn every 4 hours will loosen them up. Only one egg still has a loose air sack that I can tell, and hopefully the others are settled now.

Gosh I really want these to hatch so badly!

Oh, i hope it survived? Please do let us know. I didn't say anything because I had no advice to give :(

I just looked at some of my eggs and did see one with spider veins, which is a great start at only 2 days old. I've had them sitting upright for these two days, and feel that the yolks aren't moving as they should, so I've decided to go ahead an start rocking (turning) them. Hopefully a gentle turn every 4 hours will loosen them up. Only one egg still has a loose air sack that I can tell, and hopefully the others are settled now.

Gosh I really want these to hatch so badly!
Isn't it funny how exciting something like veins can be? My family finally has the lingo down pat, at first it was like I was speaking a foreign language to them. Now when I start yelling "We've got pip" everyone else gets excited too! I never thought I'd see the day...

Back
Top Bottom