American serama thread!

I have bad news guys... The youngest two chicks (one of which was the one that pipped in the middle of the shell and I had to assist) didn't make it through the night last night. They had been very sluggish for the past couple days, very sleepy, but would cry all night over seemingly nothing. The warmest point of the brooder was at 95f, no one was too hot or too cold, their water has sav-a-chick added, and the two youngest were given a vitamin drop each morning and each evening when I started to notice them kind of go downhill. I also observed them eating and drinking during the first two days they were in the brooder. I couldn't find anything physically wrong with them, they just sort of.. started to waste away as they hit three days old. I wish there was something more I could have done for them, but I couldn't find a cause for their malaise. I mourned for them but.. maybe they just weren't meant to make it. Mother nature is harsh sometimes...

Despite the loss, the eldest two chicks are absolutely flourishing! They will be a week old at midnight tonight, and today they were taken outside for the first time. They didn't get to play in the grass yet, but they sat in my lap and took in the sights and sounds. Then they promptly learned they could climb up to my shoulder while I was sitting with them, and enjoyed the view from up there. My mother took it as a good opportunity to get better with the camera on her iPhone. The black and white chick's name is Flak. Don't have a name for the lighter colored one yet though. And don't mind me, I was in my pajamas. ;)

Unrelated, Larps: Your guppies are beautiful! Also mystery snail babies!!
love.gif
I have a serious soft spot in my heart for mystery snails. I just love the buggers.
My chick was the same way! i would hold her and play wither her for hours! that wasn't enough! no Sir. when i put her in the brooder and went to be! all i heard was "Peep Peep Peep" until she screamed herself to sleep! i think its all that vitamin intake... my serama (like your black and white one: i think their moms name was Tina) was in the grass the day after she hatched! (with me close by of course). all they need is a couple drops of yogurt 2wice a week for 4 weeks! I'm currently hatching out more of charlies eggs! and my Hen Penny laid her first egg Friday! at 4 and a Quarter months old! i love the mystery snails because of that elephant trunk! i think its the funniest thing! as far as the chicks, just ease off the vitamins for a while and like i said, plain (organic) Yogurt, and maybe some raspberry or black berry seed (with pulp around them) for antioxidants! Good luck! hope you enjoy those sweat hearts!

My chick was the same way! i would hold her and play wither her for hours! that wasn't enough! no Sir. when i put her in the brooder and went to be! all i heard was "Peep Peep Peep" until she screamed herself to sleep! i think its all that vitamin intake... my serama (like your black and white one: i think their moms name was Tina) was in the grass the day after she hatched! (with me close by of course). all they need is a couple drops of yogurt 2wice a week for 4 weeks! I'm currently hatching out more of charlies eggs! and my Hen Penny laid her first egg Friday! at 4 and a Quarter months old! i love the mystery snails because of that elephant trunk! i think its the funniest thing! as far as the chicks, just ease off the vitamins for a while and like i said, plain (organic) Yogurt, and maybe some raspberry or black berry seed (with pulp around them) for antioxidants! Good luck! hope you enjoy those sweat hearts!
I actually just picked up some plain yogurt for them yesterday while I was at the store and was planning on letting them try some tomorrow. Hopefully they'll like it!
big_smile.png

Hi everyone! Since this is a serama thread I am hoping I can get some help here, even though my chickens are serama polish mix:
I have 2 serama-polish cross hens that are 7 months old and neither have laid a single egg. They are C class serama sized so I assumed they would lay almost as soon as a serama. But I am wondering when they will start laying, I have had them on layer feed since they were about 5 months old. I am thinking maybe the temperature could be a factor? It has been about 40-50 at night here and 50-70 in the day. But other seramas I've had in the past laid eggs outside in the spring through fall so I'm not sure. They live in a coop built for 6 full size chickens( just to give you a on idea of how big it is), it has a covered run that is always dry,I feed them a little bit of sea kelp along with their layer feed and they get to free range for about an hour a day. They seem very happy and healthy and have all shiny and perfect feathers.
Thanks to anybody that can help!

Hi everyone! Since this is a serama thread I am hoping I can get some help here, even though my chickens are serama polish mix:
I have 2 serama-polish cross hens that are 7 months old and neither have laid a single egg. They are C class serama sized so I assumed they would lay almost as soon as a serama. But I am wondering when they will start laying, I have had them on layer feed since they were about 5 months old. I am thinking maybe the temperature could be a factor? It has been about 40-50 at night here and 50-70 in the day. But other seramas I've had in the past laid eggs outside in the spring through fall so I'm not sure. They live in a coop built for 6 full size chickens( just to give you a on idea of how big it is), it has a covered run that is always dry,I feed them a little bit of sea kelp along with their layer feed and they get to free range for about an hour a day. They seem very happy and healthy and have all shiny and perfect feathers.

Sounds like are uncomfortable... Is their nest box secluded? Is there a lot of noise in your area? 7 months is when LF lay so I'm guessing they should be any day. My serama pullet ended up laying an egg a month before her mother. So it could be unpredictable... A week before me serama started laying, I noticed dramatic changes overnight. Like comb grew twice the size in less than two days. Also her vent got bigger overnight! Best ways to tell are squatting when you pet them, and when they are laying an egg. They make the well known noise "bawk bawk bawk bawkah!" you most probably will hear it from insidenyour house! Wish you the best!:p

Sorry to hear about your little ones that didn't make it, Haubitze :( I'm glad to hear 2 are doing well though! Were you feeding them vitamins because they weren't thriving? It sounds like you might have been over doing it??? But I don't know what kind of vitamins you fed, so I don't know if that's the case??

Hummm, when do Polish start? It might be they're taking after that side? Also, you part of the world is just getting 14 hours of sunlight now... some birds need a minimum of 14 hours sunlight to lay? Also, are you sure they never laid an egg? Where do they free range? They're good at finding a hiding spot to lay their eggs in ;) Temperature has nothing to do with laying, so that shouldn't be a factor :)

Sorry to hear about your little ones that didn't make it, Haubitze :( I'm glad to hear 2 are doing well though! Were you feeding them vitamins because they weren't thriving? It sounds like you might have been over doing it??? But I don't know what kind of vitamins you fed, so I don't know if that's the case??

Yes, I only started giving them vitamin drops when they started to go downhill. I've used Poly-Vi-Sol (those liquid infant vitamin drops) in the past with different avians, but this time for the two youngest chicks I used Nutri-drench (the one formulated for poultry). I researched and compared the two before the eggs even hatched, and picked some up just in case it would be needed. They only got a tiny drop on the tip of their beak once in the morning, then once in the evening, just to give them a little boost. It.. didn't seem to make much of a difference one way or another though.

Could it be that the polish side of the cross is coming through? I know that polish birds can take anywhere from 8-9 months to over a year to lay their first egg.

My 3rd Serama baby ever just HATCHED!!!! YAY!!!! (Heads up if in 6 months it turns out to be a roo, it may be for sale (already have a brother from this pair no room lol) and this cross is proving to be awesome!!!! YAYYY!!!!!!!! Pictures to come later :)

My 3rd Serama baby ever just HATCHED!!!! YAY!!!! (Heads up if in 6 months it turns out to be a roo, it may be for sale (already have a brother from this pair no room lol) and this cross is proving to be awesome!!!! YAYYY!!!!!!!! Pictures to come later :)

With Seramas, it's really easy to tell if you have a cockerel or a pullet by about two weeks, sometimes even 1.

Back
Top Bottom