American serama thread!

Okay, so I've had so many ideas about Tweet's coop, at one point we were gonna buy one, then at another point we wanted a doghouse coop, but we've made a final decision.

Our neighbor has a cute little coop and 3 hens, 2 silkies and an EE, and she can't take care of them anymore. So she's giving us the hens, as well as the coop! We already tried, and the hens get along just fine with our girls, so we're gonna use the coop for Tweet. I'll take some pictures tomorrow.
It's just perfect. A little ramp from a... I think it's 4x4 or a 5x5 coop with nesting boxes and roosts, leading into a 3x6 run. Perfect for a few Seramas!

That's Awesome!!! and it's great that you can give some new girls a loving home at the same time!

I am new to posting and may have placed this in error. If so, please forgive me. I have 9 beautiful 5 month old seramas and have them a coop to stay in at night. I am worried about the cold weather with them. I ordered a ceramic bulb and my husband is going to place it in the coop. I would really appreciate any comments as to what is the best way to keep them warm. I live in middle GA, but we expect a cold winter this year. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Welcome..GA? I have a son serving a mission there right now..He loves it in GA! Says it's beautiful. I lived in FL. years ago..I know how beautiful it is out there.

How cold do you get in the winter? We got int the minus last year..it was awful. I didn't have any seramas at that time, but I do now. My DH is building onto my smaller coop right now, to add space for them. I use a red heat lamp..and I know that this coop warms up nicely. I have heard and read, that they don't do well below 40 degrees. So, my heat lamp will be on all winter for them. I use it for my LF too though. :)
Some people will take their birds in at night during the winter, or, keep them in the house all winter if they only have a few.
I'm sure more folks will help out here with any other suggestions. Especially from that area. :)

I live in AZ so i dont usually get down past 20 F, but my serama lived outside all winter last year and they did just fine. I did put in a cookie tin heater half way through, but the outside power was iffy so it wasn't always on. At the time I only had two, and their coop had nice little niches they could snuggle up in, but being the brain;ess birds they were, they prefered to roost on the side wall right where the breeze blew though. We tried to close it off but they would just find another breezy spot. Silly birds...

I live in AZ so i dont usually get down past 20 F, but my serama lived outside all winter last year and they did just fine. I did put in a cookie tin heater half way through, but the outside power was iffy so it wasn't always on. At the time I only had two, and their coop had nice little niches they could snuggle up in, but being the brain;ess birds they were, they prefered to roost on the side wall right where the breeze blew though. We tried to close it off but they would just find another breezy spot. Silly birds...
Yes, I've noticed that they love, love to roost high. So, as my DH is finishing up this coop, going to make sure we put a roost up high in there. They better use it! lol..

Thanks for getting back to me. It gets down in the teens when we have a bad winter. I hatched these little guys from purchased eggs. They are so beautiful and I just love them. When I am off work I get a cup of coffee and go to the coop just before daylight and wait to watch them come out. They are so sweet. I never thought I would love chickens like I do these guys. My husband built the neatest place for them. I am hoping next Spring to add some greenery for them. They follow me everywhere when I am in their pen. I just enjoy watching them. Each night after dark I check to make sure all of them are in the coop. There are a couple of tiny hens that like to sleep on the top of the nest box but I always put them inside. They are given treats (meal worms) and greens from the grocery.

Once again, thanks for getting back to me.

Bonding time with Tweet!
I hatched Tweet myself about 9 months ago, he hatched a few days after my birthday. Tweet, the birthday Serama!
Since he was handled a lot, he is no longer shy, but since he's been with the standard size hens, he's gotten a bit skittish.
But this afternoon, he let me pick him up and play with him. I sat him on my lap while I was sitting in my room, and I was feeding him a few treats - an old tomato. He loved it! So he was just cuddling on my lap.. And I took a video clip of him to use as my avatar, and I played it back, and Tweet was chirping in the video, so he was poking the camera while chirping at his own video. HAHA
:lau

Back
Top Bottom