American serama thread!

kukupecpec

Songster
7 Years
Aug 24, 2012
Tucson AZ
Here is my Bonnie & Clyde. I am new to this breed and trying learn everything! Can someone tell me how many you can put together in 1 pen?
What a good looking couple! Love the black hen!

I've found that it's really the same as LF as far as housing. I once had 5 roosters in a pen with only 2 hens and everyone was totally fine because all the boys got along. I've also had a rooster that no matter how big his flock he absolutely would not accept anything else male. Now my rooster Toy, who is definitely the boss of his flock AND the LF ladies, loves all the women but only gets along with a few boys. I think it's totally dependent on the personalities of your chickens (I suppose this could also be true of dominant hens, I've just never had that problem - always had a roo to put even my big ladies in their place)

KilnChick

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 22, 2013
Kiln, Ms
What a good looking couple! Love the black hen! 

I've found that it's really the same as LF as far as housing. I once had 5 roosters in a pen with only 2 hens and everyone was totally fine because all the boys got along. I've also had a rooster that no matter how big his flock he absolutely would not accept anything else male. Now my rooster Toy, who is definitely the boss of his flock AND the LF ladies, loves all the women but only gets along with a few boys. I think it's totally dependent on the personalities of your chickens (I suppose this could also be true of dominant hens, I've just never had that problem - always had a roo to put even my big ladies in their place)

Thanks for your reply. I have a total of 14 right now and short 1 pen. Guess I'll try to put some together and see what happens.
I have 25 reg chickens and 4 pens/coops and they just choose a pen when they roost up. They've been together, Roos and hens, even newbies when I get them and they all get along fine. Hopefully I'll have the same luck with my Seramas. Here is another pair I have, Danny & Sandy.

kukupecpec

Songster
7 Years
Aug 24, 2012
Tucson AZ
Thanks for your reply. I have a total of 14 right now and short 1 pen. Guess I'll try to put some together and see what happens.
I have 25 reg chickens and 4 pens/coops and they just choose a pen when they roost up. They've been together, Roos and hens, even newbies when I get them and they all get along fine. Hopefully I'll have the same luck with my Seramas. Here is another pair I have, Danny & Sandy.
How pretty that hen is!! Wow! You are a lucky duck =)

My roo makes pretty clear right away who he doesn't like. He will attack them through the fence on his run when he sees them. Others he just picks on while he is eating so they have to wait their turn to eat. I'd just put them in a bigish area and see what happens, pecking is always expected with newcomers, just be prepared to break up a fight, you;ll learn real quick the signs your roo is about to attack. Napoleon complexes! LOL

chickydee64

Songster
7 Years
Jan 8, 2013
oregon
HI,
Congratulations Red Rooster......................
We might live fairly close??????????
I am up toward Multnomah Falls.Not sure where you are.
I have admired your Seramas for quite awhile...................

Beautiful pair Kiln chick.............

Thought I was through hatching for awhile and found a Serama hen has gone broody.....
And NOOOOOOOO rooster with her..............dang..........
going to give her a few eggs from another pair...........
She is in with another hen and it is a crack up. The other hen is acting like a protective rooster.
A new behavior for her........She stands in front of broody by the hour and when I feed she comes after my hand............
gig.gif

Like all 13 ounces of her is going to really do damage...........
I am having to much fun with my new babies...........forgot how funny they are. They are in with Silkie babes. Really shows the difference in breed.
Seramas are busy and jump over the other chicks........
Hope you weekend is great all.........
Later

Kyochan

Songster
Aug 5, 2013
Can't wait until I can say how many I have and show pictures but I just heard from the lady incubating for me and 11 of the 12 eggs (as of today, day 10) are starting to develop! She's borrowing a friends incubator to put them in for lockdown so if they hatch early we can have access to them without disturbing the still hatching LW eggs she is also incubating. And I have pictures of the potential parents! There are several frizzled hens in the breeders flock so this is going to be one giant surprise!

Top Bottom