American serama thread!

There's the baby! She looks kinda gold partridge-y. Two of the Cochins are pipped but no more Serama action so far. I will be bringing her home when she dries off and will hopefully get some better pics!

I hope everyone with eggs in their incubators gets some good hatchlings!

Just out of curiosity, how do silkied and frizzled chickens feel? I've never touched one before, only normal chickens! (and it's been a LONG time since I've touched a chicken, lol)

Silkied chickens are very soft, almost like you're touching a cat instead of a chicken. Frizzles can be very soft too, and they are so fun to stroke because as you move your hand doe ther back the feathers mash down then pop back up XD
I've not had a silkied Serama before but used to raise Silkies. Can't wait for the baby that just hatched to get her feathers in, I bet it'll be cool!

Thank you! I kinda imagined silkied birds would feel like cats, lol. I can't wait to get some of my own in a few years!

I hope you'll share lots of pictures of the new chicks! Serama chicks must be much smaller than large-fowl chicks! Maybe you can get a side by side comparison when your other chicks hatch out and dry up? :)

I hope everyone with eggs in their incubators gets some good hatchlings!

Just out of curiosity, how do silkied and frizzled chickens feel? I've never touched one before, only normal chickens! (and it's been a LONG time since I've touched a chicken, lol)

Silkies are soft; like petting a cat or dog. Frizzled is like running your hands over a feather duster.

Thank you! I kinda imagined silkied birds would feel like cats, lol. I can't wait to get some of my own in a few years!

I hope you'll share lots of pictures of the new chicks! Serama chicks must be much smaller than large-fowl chicks! Maybe you can get a side by side comparison when your other chicks hatch out and dry up? :)

I will! The only chicks I'm hatching are bantams, but I just got some ISA brown, golden nugget, California white, and amber link chicks for tsc, and I will get comparison pics with them :-D

How low did the temperature drop?
I hope your little golden girl gets some sisters.

I had it wrapped in a blanket and the temp got down to 78.7. the humidity got to 90%. By that night everything was back to normal and when I candled the next day all of the Cochin and two of the tribbles were still obviously moving. We're going to check on them again soon and I'll let you know what's happening :)

Last edited:
Yikes. Only a Viking chick can make it through that.
How's she doing?
She is doing really well. I few hours ago I brought her home, and put her in with some standard sized day old chicks. Even though she's just a few hours old, she's up and running around. She put her little wings out for balance, and running on her tiny little legs, she ran up to the big girls. They all ran terrified and cowered in the corner
roll.png
While they were hiding, she went over and got herself a drink, and finally the big girls made their way over to her. Now they are all snuggling under the heat lamp. When I go over to them, she jumps up and runs over to me. She is a sweetie, and is doing really well. I'll let you know how she is in the morning. She's the tiniest chick I've ever seen, and I've hatched a few Seramas before. I'm disgusted with the power outage. Of course it happened when I had shipped eggs I REALLY wanted to hatch in there. But, I did get a baby, and she's a sweet one
love.gif

Here she is playing in the food

Still in the food

Being cute
love.gif

By the water and a GIANT chick

She's so tiny
love.gif

@Ra_ any idea what colour she will be based off of her pattern now?

Back
Top Bottom