American serama thread!

The two tribble eggs I saw pipped were the only ones to hatch. Both are from Powder. My smallest hen hatched three eggs. I gave all five to the hen that hatched the tribbles. When I candled the eggs before discarding them, One tribble egg appeared to have dis around the 15th day, three dis around the 18th day, and the 5th egg had internally pipped and then died. But I have two healthy tribbles so I'm pleased that two hatched.
That's great!

It is going to be so hard to decide who to keep!

Ok, I have a stupid serama question. How DO you decide which ones to keep?

I look at the overall body structure. I want a bird that has pretty vertical wings as a young bird (they will get more vertical as they get older most of the time) I look for a bird with a short back and a nice chest. More importantly I look for birds with good temperaments because I don't want birds that will attack hens and such. And I want a bird with some personality (for tabletop). But, I have to also keep in mind I can't keep every single bird that I think can be a great show its/breeder. So I have to pick and choose accordingly. Most of the ones I decided to keep may not take the place of there fathers (of they are roosters) because some undesirable trait or something similar showed up. I pick them early and then make final decisions later in the year. Sorry if I didn't completely answer your question as it is hard for me to explain.

I look at the overall body structure. I want a bird that has pretty vertical wings as a young bird (they will get more vertical as they get older most of the time) I look for a bird with a short back and a nice chest. More importantly I look for birds with good temperaments because I don't want birds that will attack hens and such. And I want a bird with some personality (for tabletop). But, I have to also keep in mind I can't keep every single bird that I think can be a great show its/breeder. So I have to pick and choose accordingly. Most of the ones I decided to keep may not take the place of there fathers (of they are roosters) because some undesirable trait or something similar showed up. I pick them early and then make final decisions later in the year. Sorry if I didn't completely answer your question as it is hard for me to explain.

That helps a lot. I'm so new to them, I wasn't sure what the more desirable traits even are. Small I knew. I noticed a few of mine holding their wings more vertically, and I wondered if that was good or bad. In so many other birds, that's not a great sign. (angel wing, etc)

And what about colors?

That helps a lot. I'm so new to them, I wasn't sure what the more desirable traits even are. Small I knew. I noticed a few of mine holding their wings more vertically, and I wondered if that was good or bad. In so many other birds, that's not a great sign. (angel wing, etc)

And what about colors?

I really would get to hung up on the colors unless you want to breed certain colors ( serums don't breed true though). I would look at the overall bird first and then color after. If you look up american serama standard online it will show you what the standard is
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I really would get to hung up on the colors unless you want to breed certain colors ( serums don't breed true though). I would look at the overall bird first and then color after. If you look up american serama standard online it will show you what the standard is
big_smile.png

Thanks.. I knew I had read that colors don't breed true, but didn't know if some are more desirable anyway. I just wanted some "real" people's thoughts, instead of only what the standard says.

Thanks.. I knew I had read that colors don't breed true, but didn't know if some are more desirable anyway. I just wanted some "real" people's thoughts, instead of only what the standard says.

No problem. A lot of people are working on breeding serums in white, black, and excheuher ( not sure if i spelled that right) because those colors are recognized or soon will be with APA and ABA.

I have a pair of seramas for sale! Unfortunately I cannot ship at this moment but, if you are in the sacramento area please let me know! For sale is a pair of seramas. The hen is a wheaton and is very small with nice type, she doesn't lay consistently but she has played eggs in the past. She would make a great snowbird (since she loves mealworms). The cockerel is black with red leakage and hatched on new years day. He went his first show this weekend and scored 77, he flaps and crows on the table and has lots of personality! Only selling them because I need to downsize majorly! Asking $100 for the pair!

Back
Top Bottom