American serama thread!

Hmmm...I honestly don't know.  They get sunlight from 7 am to 7 pm daily through the window that their cage is right in front of.  Does vitamin D get absorbed through window exposure, or do you need to be in the actual sunlight outside?  Any idea if chickens can metabolize vitamin D supplements?

I don't think they can absorb enough through glass. Especially modern glass. Egg yolk has vitamin D. You can feed them hard boiled yolks. Or you can try the reptile calcium supplement that had D in it. You can also get a full spectrum light.

Great
I don't think they can absorb enough through glass. Especially modern glass. Egg yolk has vitamin D. You can feed them hard boiled yolks. Or you can try the reptile calcium supplement that had D in it. You can also get a full spectrum light.
Great! I just got back from Petco with a jar of Rep-Cal phosphorous-free Calcium with Vitamin D Ultrafine Powder. A couple of pinches of that per cup of food should work great, I hope!

Any idea how many live or dried mealworms is appropriate for a 13-ounce chicken daily? I feed them usually 6 or 7 dried, and an occasional live one, per day. Thanks!

[/IMG]
My boys. Just picked them up a couple of fine ladies for them yesterday. They are about 13 weeks old...

Great
Great! I just got back from Petco with a jar of Rep-Cal phosphorous-free Calcium with Vitamin D Ultrafine Powder. A couple of pinches of that per cup of food should work great, I hope!

Any idea how many live or dried mealworms is appropriate for a 13-ounce chicken daily? I feed them usually 6 or 7 dried, and an occasional live one, per day. Thanks!

Sorry I've been slow..my computer is giving me fits and I don't have cell phone reception where I live....
I think that number of mealworms is fine. I give my indoor birds roughly that same amount. Outside they would be catching bugs. I have a few Seramas near a porch light and they spend probably an hour a night scarfing moths. They fill their crops and they seem very healthy.

Should anyone be interested I have hatching eggs available from my frizzle rooster pictured below. The hens are smooth feathered. His last chicks are much like him in appearance. Six eggs for $15.00 plus the cost of shipping.

I wish this picture were better. The rooster has a good vertical stance, wings and tail.

PM if interested.

My avatar tribbles (silkied serama) are 5 months old today. And one laid her first egg today also. The rooster with her is my frizzle. It will be interesting to see what the chicks will look like.

Back
Top Bottom