American serama thread!

S7 for this one.

I have 4 S10s and 1 S9 that will hopefully hatch next week.

Fingers crossed for the S9. That's my favorite silkied pen. Should get silkied from S10 eggs. If anything hatches with smooth feathers out of those pens, it will at least have strong silkied genes.

S7 will probably be smooth.
One of my favorite hens is in that pen.

Fingers crossed for the S9. That's my favorite silkied pen. Should get silkied from S10 eggs. If anything hatches with smooth feathers out of those pens, it will at least have strong silkied genes. S7 will probably be smooth. One of my favorite hens is in that pen.
I want some S9s and S10s :D

all 5 of my serama eggs have made it to lock down! unfortunately the S9 has the worst air cell out of the bunch. we'll see what makes it to hatch

fl.gif

So this hatch is not going well. :he
Most of the eggs had funky air cells to begin with. However out of a dozen eggs 9 made it to lock down.
5 serama, 2 serama X EE, 2 bantam EE. 3 of the serama had their air cells collaps in on them at draw down. The membrane was not white and dry like shrink wrap, more like the inner and outer membrane just separated and it didn't allow the chick to move into position. All 3 died in the shell.(the sadest was one with a fully absorbed yolk that never even internally piped) One of the remaining serama pipped into a vein and passed shortly after external pip.
:hit :hit :hit :hit

The last is out and drying right now. :jumpy

Of the other eggs the 2 serama X EE seem to be well on their way out and should hatch normally VERY soon, but both the bantam EE are externally pipped upside down. One is nearly out, but the other is just getting started.

I still have hope I'll have 5 new chicks by tomorrow. :fl

Last edited:
Hi! Has anyone had experience with Serama pullets who are just starting laying eggs acting funny before their egg comes out?

We have gotten 2 perfectly normal-seeming eggs in the past 2 weeks from my 2 chickens. I'm not sure if they each laid one, or if one of my girls laid both of them. My assumption is that due to one being a little larger than the other, I think both my girls have laid one egg each so far.

Yesterday afternoon, my smaller Serama (Ciara) was acting a bit lethargic, closing her eyes and not wanting to come out to roam. Her somewhat larger sister (Fiona) seemed fine. Two hours later, they were both acting funny, with their eyes closed, sitting still in their cage, and not wanting to eat their dried mealworm treat or come out to wander the house.

I did some quick research and found out about the condition of being "egg bound" and started to wonder if that was what was happening. After spending about 10 minutes online researching, I went to get them both to put them in a warm bath, and there was a small egg in between the two of them. It was a shell-less egg, just a tough membrane, but whole.

Both chickens then seemed more perky and were interested in free roaming, though neither would accept a mealworm still.

Today, they seem fine. My husband and I (who have never owned chickens before) are guessing that Ciara, the little one, was a bit egg constipated, for lack of a better term, and Fiona was maybe just having sympathetic symptoms. After (we're guessing) Ciara passed her egg and felt better, we figure Fiona perked up too. Any thoughts?

(also, I free-offer a grit and oyster shell mixture in a feeding dish in their cage, but will start sprinkling some additional oyster shell in their feed dish to supplement the calcium due to the shell-less egg last night.)

Back
Top Bottom