American serama thread!

IMG_0810.JPG
IMG_0806.JPG
IMG_0807.JPG
IMG_0808.JPG
IMG_0805.JPG
I bought some baby seramas today but I was curious as to how I'd know if they're really serama chicks. They were mixed with a bunch of other bantam chicks. I attached some pics could at least 1 of them be a serama?

Hi, we are new to Seramas and have bought a young trio for my daughter to show for 4-H. They are currently living in the house while we decide how/where to build their coop.

We live in Nova Scotia and have long, cold, damp winters. So I am trying to figure out how to keep the little guys warm. I thought we could build an area in the goat shed for them, under the hay loft but above the goats heads. With their own little door to an enclosed run. So they could benefit from the heat from the goats but still be kept separate. If any of you could give your opinion on this I'd appreciate it. I'm not sure how warm the Seramas need their coop to stay, but the goat shed normally stays above freezing.

We also keep large breeds of chickens in their own coop but it is not insulated or heated in winter, nor do I want it to be.

Another option would be keeping the Seramas in a small 'brooder' coop I use for young birds in the summer, I could run power to it quite easily but I really don't like the idea of having a heat lamp in my coop.

Also wondering what you have found to be an ideal amount of space per bird in the coop?

Serama are not very cold hardy...Needs to stay above 40°F in their coop..I do not recommend heat lamps in coops either..Can be very dangerous. How do you keep their water from freezing? You may be able to incorporate same idea to creating warmer spot in coop.

I do know people that use 40 watt lightbulbs encased in bricks or terracotta pots to act as heater. If you do decide to use something to give off heat I would use a ceramic bulb they are considerably safer or at least nothing over 100 watts for lightbulb.

Last edited:
New to chickens and new to Seramas, really like them though.. stumbled upon an awesome little Rooster when I was out with a friend who was looking for Silkies. Decided that this was the guy! Getting two hen's very soon so I spend a lot of time with him after work and in the mornings .. not a lot of information out there about coloration so wondered if anyone could help me identify his.
capone.jpg

Hi, we are new to Seramas and have bought a young trio for my daughter to show for 4-H. They are currently living in the house while we decide how/where to build their coop.

We live in Nova Scotia and have long, cold, damp winters. So I am trying to figure out how to keep the little guys warm. I thought we could build an area in the goat shed for them, under the hay loft but above the goats heads. With their own little door to an enclosed run. So they could benefit from the heat from the goats but still be kept separate. If any of you could give your opinion on this I'd appreciate it. I'm not sure how warm the Seramas need their coop to stay, but the goat shed normally stays above freezing.

We also keep large breeds of chickens in their own coop but it is not insulated or heated in winter, nor do I want it to be.

Another option would be keeping the Seramas in a small 'brooder' coop I use for young birds in the summer, I could run power to it quite easily but I really don't like the idea of having a heat lamp in my coop.

Also wondering what you have found to be an ideal amount of space per bird in the coop?

Serama are more hardy than given credit for. Here in TN the winter temps drop into the teens for short periods. In the twenties is common. I have a heat lamp for them to have a spot that is warm; the rest of the coop gets down into freezing temperatures. The heated area is used primarily by hens with new chicks. My flock lays, broods, and raises chicks year around successfully. If your goat shed stays around or above freezing the serama will do fine as long as their other needs are met.
Much cooler than freezing for prolonged periods would require some kind of supplimental heat.

Serama are more hardy than given credit for. Here in TN the winter temps drop into the teens for short periods. In the twenties is common. I have a heat lamp for them to have a spot that is warm; the rest of the coop gets down into freezing temperatures. The heated area is used primarily by hens with new chicks. My flock lays, broods, and raises chicks year around successfully. If your goat shed stays around or above freezing the serama will do fine as long as their other needs are met.
Much cooler than freezing for prolonged periods would require some kind of supplimental heat.

x2! Mine have done fine in cold weather. Sub freezing. I haven't done a thing special for them. They even prefer to sleep outside the box.

Back
Top Bottom