American serama thread!

Oh I know what you mean. FishMtFarm had a trio of beautiful seramas, I didn;t have anywhere to keep them until spring, and had to pass them up. I think about them everyday, and am so sad I lost them. She is not breeding them anymore. and has sold out. Judy

I have run across some silkied, but they have to be shipped. I am looking for smooth feather. There is a woman in VT. that has some silkied babies. Her ad is on Craigslist under Farm and garden. Shows a pic of little chicks click on that and she has a list of chicks she has for sale . She is about 2 hr.and 45 mins. from me.

I can recommend @WVduckchick 's eggs. She did an amazing job packing them. (Here in the Chicagoland area, our postal sorting facility is known to be extremely rough on hatching eggs, but many of her eggs hatched..... and I've had several packages from other people not hatch at all or arrive broken & slimy.) I believe she has both smooth & silkied seramas.

Warning: Hatching is a lot of fun & can be highly addictive. LOL If you do not have an incubator, you can always try asking around. I was surprised at how many people had unused incubators collecting dust in their attics, basements, classroom closets, etc. Of course, if you have a broody hen, that's even better.
:jumpy

I can recommend @WVduckchick 's eggs. She did an amazing job packing them. (Here in the Chicagoland area, our postal sorting facility is known to be extremely rough on hatching eggs, but many of her eggs hatched..... and I've had several packages from other people not hatch at all or arrive broken & slimy.) I believe she has both smooth & silkied seramas.

Warning: Hatching is a lot of fun & can be highly addictive. LOL If you do not have an incubator, you can always try asking around. I was surprised at how many people had unused incubators collecting dust in their attics, basements, classroom closets, etc. Of course, if you have a broody hen, that's even better.
:jumpy
I may just do that. I have a wedding anniversary and mother’s day coming up. I had 2 decent hatches of shipped eggs last years. Yes I can confirm hatching is addictive. I am already on hatch number 3 since January after taking a break for the winter.

I had 4 silkied girls on a pile of eggs today. I know at least 2 of them have been sitting for a week or so, the others may have just been contributing eggs. They are some broody little devils. But I don’t mind. I just end up removing several eggs and let them just keep a few.

I have a Silkie pullet that is on eggs now and It’s about time for my Silkie resident broody hen to start the broody cycle, She is one that goes broody every 6 weeks like clockwork and there is no breaking her till a chick hatches.

I have a Silkie pullet that is on eggs now and It’s about time for my Silkie resident broody hen to start the broody cycle, She is one that goes broody every 6 weeks like clockwork and there is no breaking her till a chick hatches.
LOL She sounds like the sister of my splash silkie.

My silkie hatched chicks Dec 2nd. She never "abandoned" them, so they sat next to her while she was incubating her current chicks which hatched last weekend. Crazy little birds! I ended up bringing the mama silkie inside, so her 16 wk old pullets are very confused.

Just what I thought, Found this today. If I can convince her to set in the broody area I’m debating on giving her the Serama Eggs I’ve been collecting. I want to get rid of those nest boxes in a couple weeks so I don’t want her taking up occupancy there. Also I can shut the Silkie boys out of the broody area so they don’t harass the them.
2EA55FD9-3CAE-4FFE-92B4-B8DAEE78752B.jpeg
33909D84-F230-452D-AFAE-2A3AF3287273.jpeg

These serama pullets are stubborn. I have a 4x8 section of my coop that is half nest boxes and the other half I use for storage in the winter and a chick brooding area in the spring. 2 of my young pullets started laying behind the shavings bag but I now have it set up as a brooder with chicks in it, well one has decided she is not giving up her nesting spot and is going in the brooder and laying. She’s not messing with the chicks or eating their food. What a stinker, 28x8 ft of coop and she has to have this corner.

Back
Top Bottom