American serama thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by miss heny, Oct 30, 2010.

1. homeschoolin momma

homeschoolin momma Songster

Jun 28, 2017
    Illinois
    :hugsAww, so sad. Its hard to lose those little ones! Sounds like you have more broody hens and not enough chicks to go around!! And I have the opposite problem!:th Tell them to hang on, only two more weeks!!

(Btw i removed Mai Mai's egg last night. It was infertile as was one of Phee's)

2. homeschoolin momma

homeschoolin momma Songster

Jun 28, 2017
    Illinois
  3. Faraday40

Faraday40 Free Ranging

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    It's still about 1/2 the size of the other seramas...... but not as small as the one that hatched yesterday. (That's how I know it grew.) It's in with Cookie and she's a good mama. With a few turkeys & orps as siblings, it looks especially small. They are 3.5 weeks old now.

Because it's such a large group, I keep them confined for safety and to help Cookie keep track of them.
    IMG_7005.JPG
    IMG_7007.JPG

Here are the other seramas. Looks like 1 male & 3 females to me. The tiny one has ratty wing feathers, so I'm sure she's silkied.
    IMG_7004.JPG IMG_7011.JPG IMG_7008.JPG

WVduckchick likes this.
  4. Faraday40

Faraday40 Free Ranging

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    Meanwhile PR went broody & 6 weeks later, I finally hatched a few chicks for her. Sadly the hatch was not a good one. (Shipped eggs & ZERO HATCHED) 5 out of 10 developed & made it to lockdown, but only a few "just for fun" seramas eggs hatched. PR was sitting on 3 eggs which started to develop, but the other hens kept pushing her around. I'd find her in the wrong box or a smashed egg all over the place. The goal was for her to stay broody long enough for these precious shipped eggs to hatch. I gave her the 1st chick yesterday. She started bonding right away, but it ended in tragedy. I moved her inside anyway & added the 2nd chick..... then a while later the 3rd chick.

All is well now. At least she's finally a mama and thinks these littles are hers. The incubator is still going, but I highly doubt any more will hatch this late.

These 2 chicks have a 50% chance of being silkied.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. CatWhisperer

CatWhisperer Songster

Jun 16, 2013
    northwest Arkansas
    I am new to seramas and it’s been 6 years since I’ve had baby chicks. I have a 5 week old cockerel that bites me, for 2 weeks now. He doesn’t aggressively go after me just bites sometimes when I pick him up. I’ve named him after our parrot with a similar issue. Will this behavior go with him into adulthood? Is he going to be a bad boy?

WVduckchick likes this.
  6. LilJoe

LilJoe Crowing

Jul 15, 2016
    Missouri
    Most of my serama cockerels do this and grow out of it.

WVduckchick likes this.
  7. Faraday40

Faraday40 Free Ranging

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    A lot's been going on, so I thought I'd share some updated pics.

PR went back to the BIG coop with her chicks. Here she was the 1st time she took her babies for a walk outside the run/coop. The serama chicks are 3 weeks & still look female. The crested cream legbar chick is female but slightly younger. (Poor hen was broody, sat on rocks for 6 weeks, & only got 2 chicks (due to an incubator problem). So, I bought her a 3rd chick to mother.) IMG_7340 copy.jpg

Our beloved Teddy will have A LOT to celebrate this Father's Day. Here he is meeting his babies for the 1st time.
    IMG_7445.JPG

He's the daddy of a few silkie x serama mixes,
    silkies.jpg

a bunch of little Teddy-look-alikes,
    serama mob.jpg

and these 3 are silkied seramas!!!!
    serama favs.jpg serama white silkied.jpg

8. Faraday40

Faraday40 Free Ranging

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
  9. CatWhisperer

CatWhisperer Songster

Jun 16, 2013
    northwest Arkansas
    What do you use as a feeder for serama? I also have some silkies. Have only had LF the last 6 years.

WVduckchick likes this.
  10. Faraday40

Faraday40 Free Ranging

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    For the chicks, I just use a jar lid. For the adults, I make my own feeders with a plastic container & a PVC elbow.

WVduckchick likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: