American serama thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by miss heny, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Compost King

Compost King Crowing

Apr 19, 2018
    North Carolina
    WVduckchick likes this.
  2. spoiledchickie

spoiledchickie In the Brooder

May 3, 2019
    We use PVC feeders for our silkies run and the big girls run and will do the same in the serama run when it’s done. CAFCCE09-6EA0-4EA1-8FCB-345B66914A80.jpeg

WVduckchick, Ginmary and Compost King like this.
  3. Faraday40

Faraday40 Free Ranging

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    That's a beautiful run! If I had something like that, I'd be in there all the time playing with my chickens.

WVduckchick likes this.
  4. spoiledchickie

May 3, 2019
    Thank you! It was actually twice the width of this but we split it in half and put the smaller birds on the other side. Now we are doing a third run and coop off the side for the tiny serama chickens. I always worry it’s too small because we don’t free range here but everyone seems happy with it so far.

WVduckchick likes this.
  5. Faraday40

Faraday40 Free Ranging

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    My chicks are 1 week old today! So far all 11 are doing well. (I just could get a good pic of all 11.
    seramas 2.jpg seramas 1.jpg compare.jpg

WVduckchick and Ginmary like this.
  6. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    OMG they are all white! :love

My girls are having a helluva time keeping serama chicks alive this year. Seems like every day I go out, I find another dead chick. My broodies have been fabulous over the years, but this year is not going so well. I have eggs in the incubator, I plan to keep the chicks for at least 2-3 days to get them eating and drinking well. Then I should still have plenty of broodies to adopt them. I just don't know what's going on! :he

7. spoiledchickie

May 3, 2019
    Thought I’d share my cute babies here. The two older chicks are almost 7 weeks old now. Named Cooper and Smidge. And my younger babies are almost 3 weeks old. I swear there are no sweeter chicks than Seramas 6F20C703-C819-438B-A5AD-BFBFBFB9ACCA.jpeg BA9407C6-A027-4C5D-9948-2A39CC288F27.jpeg 114B10E1-2ADB-4189-BA81-75DB48603DF2.jpeg 22A2D518-26AE-4E18-B7CB-B862D59A0FF5.jpeg

WVduckchick and Faraday40 like this.
  8. Faraday40

Faraday40 Free Ranging

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    8 are all white (they should grow up to feather out in Teddy's cream/tan/soft gray colors)
    1 has a faint cream striping but blends in with the whites
    1 has tan striping - a little easier to find (& my favorite)
    1 has the light brown chipmunk look - like Noodle. (also a fav but I think its a male)

The youngest seramas are with a broody silkie (& many, many chicks) but I have them confined in a big plastic bin in the house. This way if I hear peeping, I can come to the rescue quickly. There are too many for the mama, so she'll need some help for a week or 2. I had 2 broody silkie hens but one just got bored after the eggs hatched & didn't seem to want to be there. I put her back outside & she's happy now. She's our dumbest hen, so who knows what she was thinking. Now the remaining hen has about 30 chicks to care for.

The 2 older serama chicks outside in the LF coop have to keep up or else. The broody is LF but on the small side. I let them return to the coop at 1.5 weeks & by 2 weeks, the mama took them out to free range. She's pretty protective & keeps them close, but it's still a gamble. They're just so small and could be picked off by a predator. Thankfully, there are plenty of hiding spots for them. The only downside is that they are more skittish & fearful of me. I'd love to hold them, but they act like I'm trying to kill them. (The chicks raised by my docile silkie simply do have this problem.)

WVduckchick likes this.
  9. CatWhisperer

CatWhisperer Songster

Jun 16, 2013
    northwest Arkansas
    We made feeders out of pvc pipe and elbows for our LF. Can you show me what you did for seramas?

WVduckchick likes this.
  10. Faraday40

Faraday40 Free Ranging

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    Here's one my daughter made.

The elbow can be any size. This is what we use for adult seramas & baby orpingtons. The marker shows where we cut. Using the male end of the elbow, a circle was traced onto the plastic container and cut out with a utility knife.
    IMG_3097.JPG
    After cutting, only the middle is used IMG_3108.JPG

It slides into the container. (Tighter is better.) The bit of lip from the female connector works as a stop to prevent the elbow from sliding inside. (This was once a container of nuts with the label removed. Coffee, candies, & other goodies come in nice plastic containers. I have a slight preference for the clear ones.)
    IMG_3109.JPG IMG_3110.JPG

For both the water & feed, we use coat hanger wire to make a handle. Then we can use clips to hang at any height.
    IMG_3100.JPG
    IMG_3104.JPG

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: