American serama thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by miss heny, Oct 30, 2010.

1. pongo

pongo Songster

Apr 30, 2011
    banning ca
    hey ray are you still needing feathers?

i have some from mater my blue guy and a few from other random birds if so pm me your address and wen i collect some more ill mail em off for ya

happy thanksgiving everyone

2. bigb-71

bigb-71 Songster

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    i know bro after i posted that i thought i should have posted the one you put up o well you have it up now thank you .
    Quote:Ray, the bird in your malaysian serama type sample picture is still too much of the American type serama. Here is the propose picture and written standard of the Malaysian serama. [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/34472_new_picture.jpg

WORKING DRAFT FOR MALAYSIAN SERAMA

Engagement:
    Serama would be entered either as a Cock, Hen, Cockerel, or Pullet.

Size Classes:

Ideal weights are given for each class.

* Mature Category:
    o Cocks - 12 oz (9.6 oz to 14.4 oz)
    o Hens - 11 oz (8.8 oz to 13.2oz)

* Youngsters:
    o Cockerel - 11 oz (8.8 oz to 13.2 oz)
    o Pullet - 10 oz (8 oz to 12 oz)

Shape of the Male

Comb: Single, small to medium, set firmly and evenly on head, straight and upright, evenly serrated - regular and distinct points, the middle points the same length as the width of the blade, moderately arched, blade should extend well over back of head.

Beak: Strong, stout and well curved.

Face: Small, rounded, smooth, fine in texture, free from wrinkle or folds.

Eyes: Round, conspicuous. Should not be placed in front of vertical line from legs or shanks when in pose.

Wattles: Small to medium, round, fine in texture, free from wrinkles or folds.

Ear Lobes: Small to medium, oval, fitting closely to the head.

Head: Small, with good width of skull, carried well back, eye behind a line vertically drawn through shank.

Neck: Moderate length, backward arched and curved showing off breast, full, tapering from shoulders to head, from head to neck to breast to stern a prominent 'S' shaped profile.
    * Hackle: Abundant, flowing naturally from front of neck, partially covering shoulders, reaching far back so as to flow over saddle.

Back: Very short, broad, hidden away by hackle. There should be no gap visible between the hackle and the tail.

Tail Coverts & Saddle: Slightly curved, sword shaped hanging over the abdomen and covering back, widely spread, overlapping the tail and lesser sickles.

Tail: Moderately large, carried at 75 degree angle.
    * Main Tail: Feathers medium width, moderately spread in a neatly overlapping manner. Moderately fanned open from the rear view.
    * Main Sickles:Moderate, strong, firm, medium width, and sword-shaped.
    * Lesser Sickles:Medium width, medium length slightly upright, sword-shaped sickle feathers covered with coverts.
    * Coverts:Abundant, medium width, flowing well up tail

Wings: Large, long, carried vertically not quite touching the ground. May be past vertical if bird is in strut.
    * Shoulders and Fronts: Prominently forward, slightly concealed by hackle.
    * Bows: Well rounded.
    * Coverts: Feathers broad, forming two distinct bars across wings.
    * Primaries: Long of Moderate width, concealed by secondaries.
    * Secondaries: Broad.

Breast: Highly lifted, well developed, full, carried prominently forward with the top of the breast forming a shelf and extending well in front of a vertical line drawn from point of beak, broad and well rounded, from head to neck to breast to stern a prominent 'S' shaped profile. These traits should be seen when the Serama pulls to its maximum position.

Body & Stern:
    * Body: Short and compact, good depth and width.
    * Stern: Fluff, short, abundant.

Legs & Toes:
    * Legs Moderate length, widely set, parallel to each other without bowing or knock-knees; well proportioned.
    * Lower Thighs:Moderate length, stout at top and tapering to hocks.
    * Shanks: Moderate length, smooth, round, evenly scaled.
    * Toes: Four, straight, well and evenly spread, evenly scaled.

Appearance: Small, broad, compact, active, tame, standing up with regal and imperial splendor.

Shape of the Female

Comb: Single, small, set firmly and evenly on head, straight and upright, evenly serrated - regular and distinct points, the middle points the same length as the width of the blade, moderately arched.

Beak: Strong, stout, and well curved.

Face: Small, rounded, smooth, fine in texture, free from wrinkle or folds.

Eyes: Round, conspicuous.

Wattles: Small, round, fine in texture, free from wrinkles or folds.

Ear Lobes: Small, oval, fitting closely to head.

Head:Small, with good width of skull, carried well back, eye behind a line vertically drawn through shank.

Neck: Moderate length, backward arched and curved showing off breast, full, tapering from shoulders to head, from head to neck to breast to stern a prominent 'S' shaped profile.
    * Hackle:Abundant, flowing naturally from front of neck.

Back: Very short, broad, hidden away by hackle. There should be no gap visible between the hackle and the tail.

Cushion: Short, feathers broad and plentiful, flowing into coverts.

Tail: Moderately large, carried at 75 degree angle.
    * Main Tail: Feathers medium width, moderately spread in a neatly overlapping manner. Moderately fanned open from the rear view.
    * Coverts:Abundant, medium width, flowing well up tail

Wings: Large, long, folded, carried vertically not quite touching the ground. May be past vertical if bird is in strut.
    * Shoulders and Fronts: Prominently forward, slightly concealed by hackle.
    * Bows: Well rounded.
    * Coverts: Feathers broad, forming two distinct bars across wings.
    * Primaries: Moderate width, rather long, concealed by secondaries.
    * Secondaries: Broad.

Breast: Highly lifted, well developed, full, carried prominently forward with the top of the breast forming a shelf and extending well in front of a vertical line drawn from point of beak, broad and well rounded, from head to neck to breast to stern a prominent 'S' shaped profile. These traits should be seen when the Serama pulls to its maximum position.

Body & Stern:
    * Body: Short and compact, good depth and width.
    * Stern: Fluff, short, abundant, from head to neck to breast to stern a prominent 'S' shaped profile.

Legs & Toes:
    * Legs: Moderate length, widely set, parallel to each other without bowing or knock-knees; well proportioned.
    * Lower Thighs:Moderate length, stout at top and tapering to hocks.
    * Shanks: Moderate length, smooth, round, evenly scaled.
    * Toes: Four, straight, well and evenly spread, evenly scaled.

Appearance: Small, broad, compact, active, tame, standing up with regal and imperial splendor.

Disqualifications

Comb: Comb foreign to the breed
    * Single comb falling below the horizontal plane on level with top of head.
    * Single comb with side sprig. Split comb.
    * Inverted Comb

Legs: Creeper Legs
    Tail: Wry or Squirrel Tail
    Plumage: Any specimen having twisted feathers, particularly in hackle, back, wing bows and male sickles.

Defects

Character:Lack of attitude, nervousness or shyness.
    Comb: Thumb-marks. Large combs.
    Wattles: Large wattles. Wattles with wrinkles or folds
    Head: Narrow head, crow head
    Back: Long or narrow back
    Chest/Breast: Shallow or narrow breast
    Legs: Short Legs
    Tail: Main tail sickles curved in a concave manner.
    Wings: Horizontal Wing

3. bigb-71

bigb-71 Songster

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    Yes please ! i would love to have them .
    Quote:

4. Twelvestring

Twelvestring In the Brooder

Aug 7, 2011
    Portland Oregon area
    Had a 100% hatch of American Seramas!

Actually, there were only two Serama eggs in the incubator among the Bantam Barnies and Ameraucanas. But both of them hatched so that counts, right?

Looking forward to seeing how these turn out. We have more on the way.

Cheers,
    Chris

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  5. bigb-71

bigb-71 Songster

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    congrats on the hatch ! if you put two in they both hatched thats 100% .
    Quote:

6. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Crowing

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Chicklette, YOU are a good egg.....Both Lucky and Bambii are adorable.....Poor Bambii but on the other hand she has Lucky to keep her company for however long she is here on earth so this is good .[​IMG]

Quote:

7. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Crowing

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    OHMYGAWD----TOO GORGEOUS FOR WORDS! Whether they are posed or not, I am no good at telling ya...but dang they are purtay! You done good..[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Quote:Love that frizzle Chicklette! Now here are some of my seramas. I just picked these up at Jerry's a few days ago. They are my first seramas ever!! I also have a dozen of fertile serama eggs in the bator hatching tomorrow. Let me know what yall think of my two pairs. This is my first time taking pictures of them also. Are they pretty well posed? I can take more pictures. Any critiques?
    Cockerel #1 Thaddeus
    http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee449/moubre733/010-5.jpg
    http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee449/moubre733/008-3.jpg
    http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee449/moubre733/009-2.jpg
    http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee449/moubre733/011-1.jpg
    Cockerel #2 Vladimir
    http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee449/moubre733/014-1.jpg
    http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee449/moubre733/013-2.jpg
    Pullet #1 Rosalie
    http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee449/moubre733/016.jpg
    Pullet #2 Dahlia
    http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee449/moubre733/015-1.jpg

8. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Crowing

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Ray, I can't wait for biker roo pictures!!!!! Which roo is this?? .......[​IMG]
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

9. bigb-71

bigb-71 Songster

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    This is my rideing buddy" JAH " [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  10. JenniferNgo

JenniferNgo In the Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Texas
    An old wive's tale says that the red down a roos leg (or a hen) is a sign of fertility. If they don't get that, the bird won't make good babies, or very many at all. Wonder if that has anything to do with it..?

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by