American serama thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by miss heny, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Chicklette 1

Chicklette 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    [​IMG]Just thought I'd post a few photos of my really little guy, Lucky, who will be 5 weeks old. I just put him in with a nice little Serama pullet that is about 11 weeks old but she was injured and I do not think she will make it. She eats, drinks and poops but she cannot strand up so I help her several times a day with that and keep turning her and changing her position. The vet gave her a shot for inflammation but he thinks there is nerve damage from a cervical injury. I am keeping her going for now and thought they could buddy up. I bring them both with me while I am on the computer or watching TV. He is a kick.......walks all over me (and her). Falls asleep in my hair on my shoulder or just falls asleep in my hand. I do not know how big he is going to be, but my guess is Micro easily. He squawks when I put him back in the brooder with her and walk away and as soon as he hears my voice, he gets quiet. Up until today, he has been in with 2 white leghorn roos that I got for him as companions but they got so big now that I was afraid he'd get hurt. This is working out great so far for both of my little house guys. I am still hoping that she will improve enough to get around but only time will tell. She can't spend a whole life time wedged between towels in a basket but while she is like this I will take care of her. Very sad! Don't know what I'll do with spoiled little Lucky if something happens to her. He will need another companion. Oh dear.......it gets complicated!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Looks like little Bambi got pooped on by her friend!! No worry......I cleaned her up but did not notice until I saw it in the photo!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  2. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Quote:Love that frizzle Chicklette! Now here are some of my seramas. I just picked these up at Jerry's a few days ago. They are my first seramas ever!! I also have a dozen of fertile serama eggs in the bator hatching tomorrow. Let me know what yall think of my two pairs. This is my first time taking pictures of them also. Are they pretty well posed? I can take more pictures. Any critiques?
    Cockerel #1 Thaddeus
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cockerel #2 Vladimir
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pullet #1 Rosalie
    [​IMG]
    Pullet #2 Dahlia
    [​IMG]

3. YB192004

YB192004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
    Quote:Ray, the bird in your malaysian serama type sample picture is still too much of the American type serama. Here is the propose picture and written standard of the Malaysian serama. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

WORKING DRAFT FOR MALAYSIAN SERAMA

Engagement:
    Serama would be entered either as a Cock, Hen, Cockerel, or Pullet.

Size Classes:

Ideal weights are given for each class.

* Mature Category:
    o Cocks - 12 oz (9.6 oz to 14.4 oz)
    o Hens - 11 oz (8.8 oz to 13.2oz)

* Youngsters:
    o Cockerel - 11 oz (8.8 oz to 13.2 oz)
    o Pullet - 10 oz (8 oz to 12 oz)

Shape of the Male

Comb: Single, small to medium, set firmly and evenly on head, straight and upright, evenly serrated - regular and distinct points, the middle points the same length as the width of the blade, moderately arched, blade should extend well over back of head.

Beak: Strong, stout and well curved.

Face: Small, rounded, smooth, fine in texture, free from wrinkle or folds.

Eyes: Round, conspicuous. Should not be placed in front of vertical line from legs or shanks when in pose.

Wattles: Small to medium, round, fine in texture, free from wrinkles or folds.

Ear Lobes: Small to medium, oval, fitting closely to the head.

Head: Small, with good width of skull, carried well back, eye behind a line vertically drawn through shank.

Neck: Moderate length, backward arched and curved showing off breast, full, tapering from shoulders to head, from head to neck to breast to stern a prominent 'S' shaped profile.
    * Hackle: Abundant, flowing naturally from front of neck, partially covering shoulders, reaching far back so as to flow over saddle.

Back: Very short, broad, hidden away by hackle. There should be no gap visible between the hackle and the tail.

Tail Coverts & Saddle: Slightly curved, sword shaped hanging over the abdomen and covering back, widely spread, overlapping the tail and lesser sickles.

Tail: Moderately large, carried at 75 degree angle.
    * Main Tail: Feathers medium width, moderately spread in a neatly overlapping manner. Moderately fanned open from the rear view.
    * Main Sickles:Moderate, strong, firm, medium width, and sword-shaped.
    * Lesser Sickles:Medium width, medium length slightly upright, sword-shaped sickle feathers covered with coverts.
    * Coverts:Abundant, medium width, flowing well up tail

Wings: Large, long, carried vertically not quite touching the ground. May be past vertical if bird is in strut.
    * Shoulders and Fronts: Prominently forward, slightly concealed by hackle.
    * Bows: Well rounded.
    * Coverts: Feathers broad, forming two distinct bars across wings.
    * Primaries: Long of Moderate width, concealed by secondaries.
    * Secondaries: Broad.

Breast: Highly lifted, well developed, full, carried prominently forward with the top of the breast forming a shelf and extending well in front of a vertical line drawn from point of beak, broad and well rounded, from head to neck to breast to stern a prominent 'S' shaped profile. These traits should be seen when the Serama pulls to its maximum position.

Body & Stern:
    * Body: Short and compact, good depth and width.
    * Stern: Fluff, short, abundant.

Legs & Toes:
    * Legs Moderate length, widely set, parallel to each other without bowing or knock-knees; well proportioned.
    * Lower Thighs:Moderate length, stout at top and tapering to hocks.
    * Shanks: Moderate length, smooth, round, evenly scaled.
    * Toes: Four, straight, well and evenly spread, evenly scaled.

Appearance: Small, broad, compact, active, tame, standing up with regal and imperial splendor.

Shape of the Female

Comb: Single, small, set firmly and evenly on head, straight and upright, evenly serrated - regular and distinct points, the middle points the same length as the width of the blade, moderately arched.

Beak: Strong, stout, and well curved.

Face: Small, rounded, smooth, fine in texture, free from wrinkle or folds.

Eyes: Round, conspicuous.

Wattles: Small, round, fine in texture, free from wrinkles or folds.

Ear Lobes: Small, oval, fitting closely to head.

Head:Small, with good width of skull, carried well back, eye behind a line vertically drawn through shank.

Neck: Moderate length, backward arched and curved showing off breast, full, tapering from shoulders to head, from head to neck to breast to stern a prominent 'S' shaped profile.
    * Hackle:Abundant, flowing naturally from front of neck.

Back: Very short, broad, hidden away by hackle. There should be no gap visible between the hackle and the tail.

Cushion: Short, feathers broad and plentiful, flowing into coverts.

Tail: Moderately large, carried at 75 degree angle.
    * Main Tail: Feathers medium width, moderately spread in a neatly overlapping manner. Moderately fanned open from the rear view.
    * Coverts:Abundant, medium width, flowing well up tail

Wings: Large, long, folded, carried vertically not quite touching the ground. May be past vertical if bird is in strut.
    * Shoulders and Fronts: Prominently forward, slightly concealed by hackle.
    * Bows: Well rounded.
    * Coverts: Feathers broad, forming two distinct bars across wings.
    * Primaries: Moderate width, rather long, concealed by secondaries.
    * Secondaries: Broad.

Breast: Highly lifted, well developed, full, carried prominently forward with the top of the breast forming a shelf and extending well in front of a vertical line drawn from point of beak, broad and well rounded, from head to neck to breast to stern a prominent 'S' shaped profile. These traits should be seen when the Serama pulls to its maximum position.

Body & Stern:
    * Body: Short and compact, good depth and width.
    * Stern: Fluff, short, abundant, from head to neck to breast to stern a prominent 'S' shaped profile.

Legs & Toes:
    * Legs: Moderate length, widely set, parallel to each other without bowing or knock-knees; well proportioned.
    * Lower Thighs:Moderate length, stout at top and tapering to hocks.
    * Shanks: Moderate length, smooth, round, evenly scaled.
    * Toes: Four, straight, well and evenly spread, evenly scaled.

Appearance: Small, broad, compact, active, tame, standing up with regal and imperial splendor.

Disqualifications

Comb: Comb foreign to the breed
    * Single comb falling below the horizontal plane on level with top of head.
    * Single comb with side sprig. Split comb.
    * Inverted Comb

Legs: Creeper Legs
    Tail: Wry or Squirrel Tail
    Plumage: Any specimen having twisted feathers, particularly in hackle, back, wing bows and male sickles.

Defects

Character:Lack of attitude, nervousness or shyness.
    Comb: Thumb-marks. Large combs.
    Wattles: Large wattles. Wattles with wrinkles or folds
    Head: Narrow head, crow head
    Back: Long or narrow back
    Chest/Breast: Shallow or narrow breast
    Legs: Short Legs
    Tail: Main tail sickles curved in a concave manner.
    Wings: Horizontal Wing

4. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Quote:Ray, the bird in your malaysian serama type sample picture is still too much of the American type serama. Here is the propose picture and written standard of the Malaysian serama. [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/34472_new_picture.jpg

\\

Agreed. High Roost Ranch's Little Hero (RIP!) is super typey, but not Malaysian "extreme" per se.

5. BluegrassSeramas

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Quote:Sending a prayer for Bambi! Hope she gets well soon! You are the best chicken Mom one could ask for!

6. YB192004

Jun 16, 2009
    SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
    Quote:Nice pick up Joe!!!!!!

7. BluegrassSeramas

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Quote:
    Birds locked up nice and tight with tons of food and water. They even have caretakers! lol Thanks!

8. Chicklette 1

Chicklette 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    Quote:Sending a prayer for Bambi! Hope she gets well soon! You are the best chicken Mom one could ask for!

Thank you Jessi and have a wonderful and delicious Thanksgiving!!

9. YB192004

Jun 16, 2009
    SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
    Have a great THANKSGIVING everyone!!!!!!!!

10. birdmaniac3000

birdmaniac3000 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    los angeles
    i had 4 baby chicks hatched today one yellow with balack stripes on its back and 3 black baby chicks one of the black baby chicks has a dark brown face and the other two have yellow on heir belly's and black feet the 3rd has willow feet as it is not as dark as the other two will these baby chinks turn out to stay black i hope evryone has a nice thanksgiving

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by