American serama thread!

New Serama owner here! Went down to Jerry's this weekend and picked out a little trio to bring home. I'm already in love with these three and see this becoming an obession for sure! My wonderful husband is building me a hen house totally dedicated to Seramas and it's about 80% done. My three are calling a big dog crate in the laundry room home until then. They're going nuts with the shavings! Nobody wanted to stand up pretty for pictures, but as soon as I put them back in their crate they perked right up.

This is Beauregard "Beau"

Seramas006.jpg

Seramas004.jpg

And this is Delta Dawn "DeeDee"

Seramas010.jpg

And this is Magnolia "Maggie". I'm not crazy about her leg color and honestly didn't notice it until I got home. I was so overwhelmed by all the birds at Jerry's, I just overlooked leg color. Duh. Hopefully with Beau's yellow legs she'll make some yellow leg babies? If not she'll still be a welcomed pet around here. She's nervous and laying that tail low but stands very nice when with Beau and DeeDee.

Seramas002.jpg

All three in their crate, tearing up the shavings.

Seramas012.jpg

In the coming weeks hopefully they'll settle in around here and give me some nicer posed pictures. Is there a way to go about working on that table top stance, or does it just happen (or not)?

ChuckyChicken, Cool set up! I hope to have more space in my small barn in the spring. We have a walkin cooler the guys use for deer season and in the summer as a cooler as needed. They're building a regular locker plant type building so the walk in is being moved out of my barn
ya.gif

That will give me more space to organize some larger pens with outside runs. I can do a couple of 6 foot by 12 (or 24) foot runs that would be great grow out pens. I may have to wait till the guys get their building done but I'll manage with the space somehow till then.

I'll be packing up a box of eggs for Pongo tonight. I can only imagine his excitement
yippiechickie.gif
jumpy.gif

The eggs are coming mostly out of my blues and chocolates with some blacks and wheatens, 24+
bun.gif

We all know how tough it is on Serama eggs to ship them so lets all send good vibes to Bill for a great hatch
thumbsup.gif

Juliette, Odo is Odorable!!!
lol.png
Cute as a button, Ruthless needs him to go with her rumpless Serama/bantam Araucana pen
wink.png
<enable, enable> and is he "chocolate??"

Brody's Broodello, Sounds like you got a terrific start there. PICTURES please!!
pop.gif

Redroosterfarm, Love the variety! Way past cute!
love.gif

I officially have 4 hens setting now, silly girls. One batch should be hatching soon, I marked the dates but haven't bothered the hens. It's totally cute, I am using cardboard boxes, anything I could find that was the right size, and filled them with bedding and as each hen became broody, I moved her out of her cage to an empty cage just for broody's. That cage is at "limit" now with 4 brood boxes lined up in a row. I have some in the incubator nearing time for lockdown and still plenty to send Bill
celebrate.gif

""""Juliette, Odo is Odorable!!! Cute as a button, Ruthless needs him to go with her rumpless Serama/bantam Araucana pen <enable, enable> and is he "chocolate??" """

CAthy,
I have been thinking about "ODO" ever since Juliette posted his picture the first time BUT I have a feeling he is one of those small ones that she won't easily turn loose of.

Quote:
Just started with Frizzled, I was able to get a white Diane Brewer hen at Ohio National as well as her white frizzled son. Also picked up a silkied cock there from catwalk. His color is interesting with splashes of white & chocolate! So hopefully will have some of these in the spring to add to the flock. I already have smooth & booted. Hatched out a booted in blue mottled, from my heavy booted cock & a smooth hen! He is lightly booted but will have heavier feathering in the next gen.

Sounds like you have several "projects" going on at once! I hatched out a small, frizzled-mottled-RUMPLESS-chocolate boy this past August, from my chocolate quad...He is soooo cute, and I'd love to start a project with him, but I just don't have the room for all the "projects" I'd like to do...
hu.gif
...Sigh!

His name is Odo...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/29496_odo_2.jpg

He's from Rolo and The Triplets...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/29496_rolo_and_the_triplets.jpg

Love them!!!!

Quote:
Mine are from my same trio that I have hatched before. They are the only 3 adults that I have and I have 14 babies from 7 to 13 weeks that I am growing out. They were not giving me fertile eggs for a while but I've moved them indoors now for the winter and they are in a wire dog cage so the roo can catch them more easily. I do not now how much luck I will have either but it is always fun. At least at 7 days, I'll candle and know if they are good or not.

Quote:
Me, too...Chocolates, Blues, Blacks...! Saying my prayers to the Hatching Gods for some smooth seramas this time around! (The frizzle gene is very strong over here!)

I set some today for New Years to. Don't know what colors I'll get. I just got some new girls. But one of the girls my have an egg from Hershey Boy! I bought Mary from Cara. So I may have a little chocolate baby to.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom