American serama thread!

I am very new to Serama's and wonder which way to you find best when hatching seramas, laying the eggs flat or sitting up in cartons? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Awesome!!! We've got a bunch of seramas to ring in the New Year!!! Oh gosh... I'm thinking back, who is all setting?

Me,
Chicklette
Juliette
RedRooster
Whitney
Carolyn
Smoothmule
Brody's Broodello
Junebug

Anyone else want to be added to the list?

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm new-ish at hatching, (on my 3rd/4th hatch) but I've never used a turner. I've always laid them on their side, marked an X and an O, and turned them by hand 3x per day. My hatches are usually decent, when I start with fresh eggs. I have bad luck with eggs that are more than a week old.

Quote:
I'm new-ish at hatching, (on my 3rd/4th hatch) but I've never used a turner. I've always laid them on their side, marked an X and an O, and turned them by hand 3x per day. My hatches are usually decent, when I start with fresh eggs. I have bad luck with eggs that are more than a week old.

I am mainly talking about at lockdown, I have hatched all of mine in cartons and not so good, but maybe that is just seramas in general, lol.

Well, again, I keep them on their side for the full ride, and just turn them until day 18 when I stop, if that helps at all. Most of the time, my hatch rate is 60% or better, I've only lost 1 so far, that pipped and didn't hatch.

Hope that helps!

I have a few set for New Years too.
cool.png

Thanks Carolyn and smoothmule! I knew there were more that I was forgetting... I'll go look back now, and see who I"m forgetting....

Yep, found another one I missed!! My brains must be scrambled eggs or something...
big_smile.png

Last edited:
i turn mine with a auto turner. then on 18th day just stop turning them. best hatch rate ever. i use to hand turn and l leave them and used the egg carton routes. but the auto turner and just leaving them works best for me. Oh and found using a wick really helped also.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom