American serama thread!

Does anyone use a hamster waterer in the cage? I have had one in sense the chicks were hatched and they don't even try to drink from it. I had hope I wouldn't have to keep a bowl of water in the cage.

I don't, but when I got my new pair, that's what they were used. I need to go get one, because it would make my life so much easier with the chickens inside. I am emptying yucky bedding filled water all of the time. I would keep it in there if I were you, eventually the glint of water will catch their eye and they'll figure it out.
smile.png

All Of My Chicks Are Turning Into Roos!!! This is not good, as the plan was always to not keep the roo's (I have 3 already). We had already decided that we wanted to keep Noel, so that makes 4. Each day I see one more roo, and still only 1 that I'm sure is a pullet. This isn't even statistically possible......
barnie.gif
Maybe Gabby's Eggs......
fl.gif

All Of My Chicks Are Turning Into Roos!!! This is not good, as the plan was always to not keep the roo's (I have 3 already). We had already decided that we wanted to keep Noel, so that makes 4. Each day I see one more roo, and still only 1 that I'm sure is a pullet. This isn't even statistically possible......
barnie.gif
Maybe Gabby's Eggs......
fl.gif
I read on Jerry's site that these guys are about 60% hatch rate for roo's. He told me himself in a message that his usually run more than that. That's why so many big breeders don't sell eggs or chicks until they know what they have. I am hoping for more hens too, as I set 29 for the NYD hatch. I have only one roo adult and then Uno. So I am hoping to build a harem for each and then see what is left. I have 2 eggs that went into lock down today from my original trio. It's just a test hatch and of the three, these two are still perking along. Then I have the 29 to go in on the 28th.

MY little nephews did the "hen dance" for me last night at our Christmas party...maybe that will help.
big_smile.png
Even if they are all roosters, it was worth watching two 4yr olds wish me luck to "Jingle Bell Rock".
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom