American serama thread!

So my little Katie went from this:
LL
To now being named Oreo and looking like this:
What a cutie!!!

Hey guys! I just wanted to pop in and ask a quick question about my incubating eggs. My batch has been incubating for a full seven days now, and I just candled them to mark where the air cells were. The problem was.. I had a really hard time seeing any. I'm scared to turn the eggs on their side yet to see if I can get a better view, because they've been sitting up at 45 degree angles in egg cartons in the incubator. I don't want to roll one over to its side prematurely and risk having an air cell detach (since the eggs were shipped to me, and USPS likes to jiggle packages a lot). Is it okay if I just wait until day 14 to check and mark the air cells? ...And are Serama eggs usually hard to find the air cells in, or am I just blind? :p I've been keeping the humidity between 25-40%, so I don't think the air cells would just.. not exist at this point.

Other than all that, the eggs are doing great! Took two out just now that had blood rings, poor little guys, and I think one more is infertile but it's gonna hang out in the incubator at least until day 10. That leaves thirteen eggs that are looking awesome! There was one little guy that was even swishin' and bobbin' in his egg while I was candling! I'm still keeping my fingers and toes crossed, hoping that at least one of these little boogers will hatch for me.

Looking to buy some serama, let me know if you have any or know someone who have any for sale! Thanks.
What are you looking for? I have frizzled, silkied and smooth feathered show quality serama available. If you are not already familiar with the standard of perfection for the breed, I recommend you obtain a copy and know it prior to purchasing.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Hope I am doing this post right. I just wanted to introduce myself to the thread. I have had 5 Serama eggs in the incubator for 15 days now, so should be hatching my first Serama chicks very soon. I have been watching this thread since I started the eggs and thought I would jump in before the eggs hatch as I am sure I will have questions along the way. I will share pics as soon as the new chics are here.

Just wanted to introduce myself...I have just become a member and have been reading as much as possible about seramas....want to learn all I can and then purchase, maybe 3....thanks for all the great information I have seen so far....

Hey guys! I just wanted to pop in and ask a quick question about my incubating eggs. My batch has been incubating for a full seven days now, and I just candled them to mark where the air cells were. The problem was.. I had a really hard time seeing any. I'm scared to turn the eggs on their side yet to see if I can get a better view, because they've been sitting up at 45 degree angles in egg cartons in the incubator. I don't want to roll one over to its side prematurely and risk having an air cell detach (since the eggs were shipped to me, and USPS likes to jiggle packages a lot). Is it okay if I just wait until day 14 to check and mark the air cells? ...And are Serama eggs usually hard to find the air cells in, or am I just blind? :p I've been keeping the humidity between 25-40%, so I don't think the air cells would just.. not exist at this point.

Other than all that, the eggs are doing great! Took two out just now that had blood rings, poor little guys, and I think one more is infertile but it's gonna hang out in the incubator at least until day 10. That leaves thirteen eggs that are looking awesome! There was one little guy that was even swishin' and bobbin' in his egg while I was candling! I'm still keeping my fingers and toes crossed, hoping that at least one of these little boogers will hatch for me.

Uh Oh... yout haven't turned your serama eggs at all since you started incubating? the air cell wont detach if you turn them. what you are suppose to look for is veins in the egg. if you haven't turned them, I'm afraid they might be dead.
hit.gif
i mark my eggs with an X on one side, and an O on the other. ( x) and ( o), not on the points, in the middle of the egg. i turn them every eight hours so the embryos don't get stuck on one side. the air cell is not what helps you know if its fertile, its the embryo.

this is what you should have. on day 7 they start moving back and forth you can see the veins with the embryo in the middle.
quickly candle them and see if any are alive. if they are. then turn them immediately. oh and bump humidity to 65% during hatching.

Back
Top Bottom