American serama thread!

i have a horrible habit of biting my nails. biting my nails is something i do in my unconscious, and i don't even notice I'm doing it until i look. i recently tried drinking orange blossom water, which is supposed to relax you. It worked! 3 shots of the stuff a day took care of it! i ha vent touched my nails in a week! and i am more relaxed! I'm wondering if pouring some orange blossom water in my chickens watering bowl will relax them more and the new hens i have will not run away from me? i am also hoping it helps them trust me? that stuff smells like heaven, but tastes like your grandma spraying her perfume in your mouth.
sickbyc.gif
I'm also thinking this will help table top seramas pose better for the judges? what do you guys think?
I would be cautious. Many chemical compounds that are okay for humans are bad for dogs even, let alone a bird under a pound. I guess I would do more research into it first if I were you, unless anyone else can chime in that has used this already.

Hello Serama people! (Is this the right thread to say hello in?)

This is my first year for incubating eggs. I incubated 5 emu eggs this spring. Two were damaged in shipping, two were sterile, and the last one is "due" in 2 weeks. I suspect it's another dud though
sad.png
But now I have the incubation bug. I will really miss turning these eggs ! So I am researching some other possibilities. I'm learning about button quail and Seramas. My DH converted our garage into an aviary / greenhouse (this started out as a homeschool project, and it just...grew...
gig.gif
) so we have room for some more inhabitants.

I've been reading some of the Serama threads and these tiny chickies are just so beautiful, so many colors!

What are the best resources you could point me to that would help me learn what I need to know?

Thanks!

This is my first year for incubating eggs. I incubated 5 emu eggs this spring. Two were damaged in shipping, two were sterile, and the last one is "due" in 2 weeks. I suspect it's another dud though
sad.png
But now I have the incubation bug. I will really miss turning these eggs ! So I am researching some other possibilities. I'm learning about button quail and Seramas. My DH converted our garage into an aviary / greenhouse (this started out as a homeschool project, and it just...grew...
gig.gif
) so we have room for some more inhabitants.

I've been reading some of the Serama threads and these tiny chickies are just so beautiful, so many colors!

What are the best resources you could point me to that would help me learn what I need to know?

Thanks!
Yes! its the perfect thread! i would go to charliesweb1k on youtube! he is the best! i just hatched 8 little buggers from him! they are very beautiful and i have one adult hen from his eggs that is super sweet and gives me 6 eggs a week! it is rare to get less than 80% hatch from him if you know what you are doing! it sounds like you have the perfect enviorment for 8/10 seramas. i would E-mail him at [email protected] and tell him John from BYC sent you so he knows where you are coming from. he also sells button quail eggs and Axolotls for fish tanks! if i were you i would order 20 eggs (charlies usually sends 2 - 6 extra eggs as well). because out of my 8 i have 4 hens and 4 roos. his birds have the silkied genes in them so you might get some silkieds! good luck! and have fun! charlie is the cheapest, best place to get sweeter seramas. if you live in Washington, tell him. again good luck!

here are my babys from him

i changed their names because they feathered out aliitle!

Free Ranging time!

This is "Buffie"

This is "Spot"

This is "Jr." Because it looks exactly like my black hen

This is "Oreo" the little silkied

This is "Bella" the other little silkied

This is "Tigger" the ameraucana wannabe!

This is "Salty"

These are "Jr.'s" Feathers.

These are "Spot's" Feathers.

Tjese are "Oreo's" feathers

These are "Bella's" feathers.

These are "Tigger's" feathers.

These are "Buffie's" feathers.

These are "Salty's" Feathers.

This is "Tigger's", the Ameraucana Wannabe's Foot!

This is "Jr.'s" Foot

And this is "Oreo's" Foots!

Hope you guys like the names!

and my full grown hen from him!

I guess you can only have 1 ad open at a time, so I'll put this here. I have two Serama boys to sell. They are father and son, don't have to go together. They are alot smaller than the Serama I got from Jerry, but not sure if they are A or B. I used them for their coloration for my d'uccles and have my project well under way, so they are for sale now.
Here's papa, Sunny

His parents

And his son, Little Man

Little Man's parents,

Price is $30 for Sunny and $25 for Little Man, plus shipping. I am NPIP certified.

i have a horrible habit of biting my nails. biting my nails is something i do in my unconscious, and i don't even notice I'm doing it until i look. i recently tried drinking orange blossom water, which is supposed to relax you. It worked! 3 shots of the stuff a day took care of it! i ha vent touched my nails in a week! and i am more relaxed! I'm wondering if pouring some orange blossom water in my chickens watering bowl will relax them more and the new hens i have will not run away from me? i am also hoping it helps them trust me? that stuff smells like heaven, but tastes like your grandma spraying her perfume in your mouth.
sickbyc.gif
I'm also thinking this will help table top seramas pose better for the judges? what do you guys think?
Don't experiment with things of this nature unless you are willing to risk the possible loss of the bird you are experimenting on. I would say a firm NO. In what way would this help make a Serama pose better?

This is my first year for incubating eggs. I incubated 5 emu eggs this spring. Two were damaged in shipping, two were sterile, and the last one is "due" in 2 weeks. I suspect it's another dud though :(   But now I have the incubation bug. I will really miss turning these eggs !  So I am researching some other possibilities. I'm learning about button quail and Seramas. My DH converted our garage into an aviary / greenhouse (this started out as a homeschool project, and it just...grew...:gig ) so we have room for some more inhabitants.

Thanks!

:welcome Avie to the wonderful world of seramas AND BYC! I am the CA. State representative for The American Serama Association. Here is the website. http://www.americanseramaassociation.org/
You can get so much info on what these little humans in feathered coats are all about. They ARE the BOMB!!
There is also the Serama Council of North America, but I am biased [hee hee]
You can look for breeders in your area, contact them and get started. There are ALWAYS "culls" birds that do not make the cut for showing that will need homes, so you do not have to spend an arm and a leg to get some, if all you want is pets....I hope you find this helpful.

Avie said they wanted eggs, not live birds. i dont really like breeders. their birds and eggs are often expensive and the seramas are too SQ. if your looking for a pet, charliesweb3k is the way to go.

Not sure Avie said eggs, not live birds. Just that it was Avie's first year with an incubator. I am sure she can find what she is looking for, lots of great people here to help her along.

Right now I have both (breeder and pet quality) in my incubator. First set should hatch next Saturday, the next set should hatch next Friday. So excited!!!!!

Okay I am assuming Avie is a female, please correct me if I am wrong
lau.gif

Not sure Avie said eggs, not live birds. Just that it was Avie's first year with an incubator. I am sure she can find what she is looking for, lots of great people here to help her along.

Right now I have both (breeder and pet quality) in my incubator. First set should hatch next Saturday, the next set should hatch next Friday. So excited!!!!!

Okay I am assuming Avie is a female, please correct me if I am wrong
lau.gif
Yeah! that's why i said "They" and not her/him. i would get upset if someone thought i was a girl.
this is part of Avies quote. assuming she/he wants egg, but i could be wrong. also, it seems like eggs from breeders don't really all develoupe like charlies eggs do.

"This is my first year for incubating eggs. I incubated 5 emu eggs this spring. Two were damaged in shipping, two were sterile, and the last one is "due" in 2 weeks. I suspect it's another dud though
sad.png
But now I have the incubation bug. I will really miss turning these eggs !"

Back
Top Bottom