American serama thread!

We have some chicks that are about 2.5 months old. How do you tell wether they are Roos or Hens at this young age?

It is cool that Momma is setting again. Should hatch next week.
Any excuse to post pictures!
big_smile.png

Chick on the right has a slightly pinker, slightly larger comb.

The comb got bigger and pinker. He's a cockerel!

You can easily see the cockerel's larger comb. Pullets' will be small and pale until they get closer to laying.

The cockerels also get wattles sooner.

A close up!

The pullet is still pale and developing wattles. She's not laying yet.

Growing even more. Cockerel has saddle feathers now.

Pullet and her first egg.

Yes its a parrot cage. It is 24" in diameter. I found it on craigslist. My husband built that little shelf that they are sitting on. It has a slide out tray that has shavings in it. They get plenty of outside time. I have a wire dog crate and take the plastic tray out of the bottom and they can eat grass and scratch and keeps them safe from hawks.

Yes its a parrot cage.  It is 24" in diameter.  I found it on craigslist.  My husband built that little shelf that they are sitting on.  It has a slide out tray that has shavings in it.  They get plenty of outside time.  I have a wire dog crate and take the plastic tray out of the bottom and they can eat grass and scratch and keeps them safe from hawks.  

Well soozieQ, you just about said it all..house chickens are the bestest! :thumbsup :yesss:

Our 1st batch of babies. Lost a few cause we didn't know they could fly.
Any excuse to post pictures! :D Chick on the right has a slightly pinker, slightly larger comb. The comb got bigger and pinker. He's a cockerel! You can easily see the cockerel's larger comb. Pullets' will be small and pale until they get closer to laying. The cockerels also get wattles sooner. A close up! The pullet is still pale and developing wattles. She's not laying yet. Growing even more. Cockerel has saddle feathers now. Pullet and her first egg.
So we have one hen and I think black is a rooster. They were born March 11 so just over 2 months old

Back
Top Bottom