American serama thread!

Most of my cockerels started to turn pink around 4-5 weeks. When I had 3 in the same group, the smallest one took quite a bit longer to show his pink.

The cockerel's comb stared sprouting.

These chicks are older, but guy in front got his big comb and wattles very early. He crowed early (and frequently) also. You can see one other boy behind him not quite as developed. A third cockerel in this group was barely showing at this point. Don't know if it is individual variation, or the effects of a dominant cockerel.

Last edited:
It's so hard because they all look like pullets until they don't!
big_smile.png
I think it's a pullet, but wouldn't bet on it for a couple more weeks. Watch for wattles too!

No, mine were quite loud for such little guys. It's a higher pitch too, which some people dislike. Kind of like a yippy little dog compared to a large dog, which can have a more mellow woof, even though it's louder decibel-wise. I found homes for the cockerels because they were bothering the neighbor. Only kept the smallest, latest developer who crows infrequently.

Mo is silkied. He has a beautiful tail, but doesn't hold it up. Very sweet boy.

Well I hope that all mine turn out to be girls then, cause I just adore all four of them already but I can't have roosters where I live
2639.png
I thought maybe I would try and get away with it if they were as quiet as I have heard, but if they are loud they will have to go unfortunately
1f622.png

No, mine were quite loud for such little guys. It's a higher pitch too, which some people dislike. Kind of like a yippy little dog compared to a large dog, which can have a more mellow woof, even though it's louder decibel-wise. I found homes for the cockerels because they were bothering the neighbor. Only kept the smallest, latest developer who crows infrequently.

LOVE the color in that hen !!!! he reminds me of a phoenix a little. or a sumatra .
thumbsup.gif

LOVE the color in that hen !!!! he reminds me of a phoenix a little. or a sumatra .
thumbsup.gif

There's an idea. Make some ultra-miniature Sumatras.

Back
Top Bottom