American serama thread!

Does anyone else let their Serama free range?

I put mine in a little mobile tractor coop and leave the door open near a briar thicket so they can hop in for safety if they hear a hawk. Sometimes they get bold and walk up to our back door.

A couple days ago I caught them on the back porch happily clucking away and laying eggs in a pile of baskets :)

I was curious what you guys think about these two hatch mates? They are my first pair. They are both super sweet! What is there coloring considered? And does she look to long? they are almost 17 weeks. Can I breed them with each other ? Will I get different looking seramas ? When do they start to lay? Her face is getting ready red and she's wanting to lay on the floor more then perch lately. Any help would be great ! Thank you!
I think he looks good and will get better over the next few months. She is pretty but does seem to be pretty long in the back. I would maybe try to find another pullet for him, but then again I breed a hen with a rather long back with a nice roo and got a great short back cockerel with a much better tail set than either parent.
idunno.gif

I was also told by a very experienced breeder that pullets also mature slower. Good luck with your next generation.

Does anyone else let their Serama free range? I put mine in a little mobile tractor coop and leave the door open near a briar thicket so they can hop in for safety if they hear a hawk. Sometimes they get bold and walk up to our back door. A couple days ago I caught them on the back porch happily clucking away and laying eggs in a pile of baskets :) [/quote My Seramas get to free range. They know to stick with the big girls and when to go back in. I only normally let them free range for an hour.

Yes. The behavior has been escalating for quite some time. Last night was the first time he would not stop. A rooster like that is of no use to anyone and certainly not something to be used as breeding stock.

That's a shame. I used to have a buff Orpington rooster. The hens would peck on him!! He was so nervous all the time, that he attacked my arm. He is not on my property anymore...

How cold hardy are seramas???

I have insulated coops for my seramas and have purple reptile bulbs for some heat. I use those when the temps drop below 45 at night. I hang the bulbs (using metal pie pans for reflectors) right above their roost poles. I live in southern CA so we don't frigid temps, but I have alot of older seramas (one hen is pushing 8 YEARS OLD ).

I think he looks good and will get better over the next few months. She is pretty but does seem to be pretty long in the back. I would maybe try to find another pullet for him, but then again I breed a hen with a rather long back with a nice roo and got a great short back cockerel with a much better tail set than either parent.:idunno
I was also told by a very experienced breeder that pullets also mature slower. Good luck with your next generation.

Are you breeding for funnzies only? If so, go for it. IMO, the pullet does not look serama at all. She actually looks more like a game hen. With that said, IF you want to breed for TT showing: purchase the BEST PAIR you can afford to buy from a breeder with a PROVEN TRACK RECORD at the TT shows.
You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow ear .....Start with short back, don't "try" to get it.
examples:
Dear sweet Emmit IS a 100% serama, BUT is the poorest quality I have ever owned. I still loved him. :love

This is Gumbii and is a very good quality boy, he looked like this from the get go.....

Does anyone else let their Serama free range? I put mine in a little mobile tractor coop and leave the door open near a briar thicket so they can hop in for safety if they hear a hawk. Sometimes they get bold and walk up to our back door. A couple days ago I caught them on the back porch happily clucking away and laying eggs in a pile of baskets :)
cute cute and more cute! I only let my free range under human supervision and many pieces of shade cloth strung up to keep any "runways" blocked from the hawks....

Back
Top Bottom