American serama thread!

I've noticed that my Serama roo seems to have a much wider chest than others that I've seen. He seems pretty short and squatty. Is that an "undesirable" trait? I don't show so it's not really important, but I am curious about specific traits that breeders wouldn't like.

[/IMG]

Last edited:
I've noticed that my Serama roo seems to have a much wider chest than others that I've seen. He seems pretty short and squatty. Is that an "undesirable" trait? I don't show so it's not really important, but I am curious about specific traits that breeders wouldn't like.

[/IMG]

he seems to have a NICE Chest, but short legs prohibiting him from standing well. I would only keep long legged hens only because if you breed the two short leggeds resulting babies will have the lethal gene

Long legged/short legged is not always so easy to pick out. When I paired my short legged rooster with "long" legged hens I still had 50 to 60 % DIS. The same hens paired to a long legged rooster produced 90 to 100%. Think twice before using short legged birds for breeding.

Oh wow! I had no idea about the short legs being a problem. I've never even noticed how short they actually are. That's a real shame. My Serama hen also has relatively short legs. Not quite as bad as his, but I wouldn't call them long.

I'm really appreciative of the info, though. Thanks!

Yes this happened to me with my bantam cochin. She started laying again and wanted to start over with her eggs. The chicks kept  wanting to come into her nest box so I had to separate her with new eggs. The chicks were old enough to not need her heat. She just hatched that group a few days ago. She is taking a break after this one!:he

The hen is still leading the chicks around, clucking and calling them to come for a found tidbit when she is off the nest. After a short period she goes back and broods the eggs, the older chicks by her side. I'm very curious to see what happens when the new chicks hatch.

I'll be candling the eggs today, Also curious to see if the eggs are developing.

The hen is still leading the chicks around, clucking and calling them to come for a found tidbit when she is off the nest. After a short period she goes back and broods the eggs, the older chicks by her side. I'm very curious to see what happens when the new chicks hatch.

I'll be candling the eggs today, Also curious to see if the eggs are developing.

Sounds like she is juggling the two jobs. I was going to let Taffy do that and see what happened but I thought the eggs might not get enough attention so I decided to separate her. Is your hen a Serama? They are amazing birds and have just recently won me over. I am a Serama fan
love.gif

Let me know what happens will you? I am curious if she can do it all.
Marie

Sounds like she is juggling the two jobs. I was going to let Taffy do that and see what happened but I thought the eggs might not get enough attention so I decided to separate her. Is your hen a Serama? They are amazing birds and have just recently won me over. I am a Serama fan:love
Let me know what happens will you? I am curious if she can do it all.
Marie

The hen is a serama. Candling showed that five of seven eggs are developing. I did not write the date down when incubation started, but from development it should be within the week.

Three of my tiny serama eggs hatched. The smallest at two weeks two days is 17 grams. I have had many chicks weigh 17 grams on hatch day. Other chicks in the same brood weigh 44 grams. I have not weighed the other two tiny chicks, but I'd place them around 25 grams.

Back
Top Bottom