American serama thread!

Hi everyone, it's been a busy summer so far and I have been off the thread for a while but I wanted to update everyone with pot upine progress. Do you remember porcupine my naked rescued yellow skin Serama. ( can't find an old photo) (today)* porcupine is the frizzle
I was intermittently glancing at the thread during those days, but I'd say she's looking a lot better, if I'm remembering original photos correctly! Has she been on any special diet or care regimen (like feather fixer or such) to get her feathers growing back in? I have a frizzle boy with bad feathering, been wondering whether there's anything I can do to help him... the feather fixer pellets in our area seem to be too large for seramas. He's a single gene frizzle but I know the breeder did breed frizzles to frizzles in her lines, so I think there's doubling up of some other genetic modifiers that resulted in poor feather quality. We affectionately call him Skeletor. ;) Have you hatched any chicks from her? I'm curious to know what their feathering looks like. I haven't bred my boy yet (well, tried but none of the eggs hatched).
I wanted to try feather fixer. But honestly never tried them. But I do hear great things from it. If pellets are to large I was going to grind them down somehow. And for her diet I find meal worms, scrambled eggs, start and grow with Perkins omega 3 laying pellets. As for her hatching chicks. No she hasn't gone bloody but she is laying. I think one of her babies hatched out under my brrody Cochin bantam. But sadly she wasn't a good mama and by the time I found that out and removed the chick she died. So I can't say how that chicks feathers would have turned out. But the down feathers were full and well fluffed.

I wanted to try feather fixer. But honestly never tried them. But I do hear great things from it.
If pellets are to large I was going to grind them down somehow.

And for her diet I find meal worms, scrambled eggs, start and grow with Perkins omega 3 laying pellets.

As for her hatching chicks.
No she hasn't gone bloody but she is laying. I think one of her babies hatched out under my brrody Cochin bantam. But sadly she wasn't a good mama and by the time I found that out and removed the chick she died.

So I can't say how that chicks feathers would have turned out. But the down feathers were full and well fluffed.

Yep I think you could grind it down if the size doesn't work. I've been told it's smaller in different parts of the country, sized for bantams. Here in Oregon it's the same size as Purina Layena pellets. I was going to grind a bag for my boy but then some other things came up that were more pressing to treat and I ended up feeding that bag to my large fowl.

Maybe I'll try adding some eggs do his diet for now. Couldn't hurt. :)

Thanks!

Yep I think you could grind it down if the size doesn't work. I've been told it's smaller in different parts of the country, sized for bantams. Here in Oregon it's the same size as Purina Layena pellets. I was going to grind a bag for my boy but then some other things came up that were more pressing to treat and I ended up feeding that bag to my large fowl. 

Maybe I'll try adding some eggs do his diet for now. Couldn't hurt. :) 

Thanks! 

I have a coffee grinder that I use just for chicken food.

I'm guessing then your chick could end up being anything from solid black to something like what you've described above. Sometimes mottling shows up right away and other times it doesn't come in until they're a few months old, in my experience. 

So far looks like solid black back and wings.. Mottled black and white chest.. She's looking beautiful! Can't wait til she completely feathers in!

OK..so I hatched Pip..and originally thought was roo.. But then pullet..now I don't know.. Lol.. Any guesses? 4 weeks old this coming Sunday.

I gave in and got some eggs....three hatched out, under my little Silkie EE hen...they now live their own cage,in my living room window....and the five that hatched under my Glorious Momma Bird...a pint size EE hen who is one of the best broody hens I've ever seen....they are out on the yard, in the special built little big chicken tractor with mom, learning how to be chickens....from the best Scratch and Pecker" I've ever seen...she must have been a clog dancer in some other life...I was worrying about the chicks, cause when Mom gets to scratching they had to get out of the way, or she might send them flying in her frenzy....but they managed to survive.

Back
Top Bottom