American serama thread!

Thank you for responding - that's what I had started to believe as well as time went on - especially watching them interact. They are both sweetie pies though! Best breed ever!
1f604.png
1f413.png

My wife and I will be moving to Scotts Hill/Savannah TN next week. Are there any serama BYC members in TN? Especially Southern TN?

Wow, that's one heck of a move! Good luck! Moving is a pain in the rear! Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again.

ETA - clicked submit too soon. Are you taking all your birds? How are you moving them that far?

Last edited:
Well 5 of the 7 have pipped... But two pipped at the wrong end. I had that happen last batch too. Is that a Serama thing, or a shipped eggs thing? (I have only ever hatched Seramas from shipped eggs.)

One of the chicks who is upside down pipped over a day ago and hasn't made much progress... Just a lot of cheeping. At what point do I help him out?

You can help them after 24 hours but I don't usually wait that long I usually give it 3-4 hours to help. I don't like to wait that long because I don't want die and I have saved many chicks from doing so, you can also just make sure hey don't dry out to help them. You can easily take a wet paper towel and dampen the membrane.

Not disagreeing with Roada, just giving my procedure. I wait 24 hours because alot of times they can still zip from the wrong end with no help. Especially if its a good, strong pip. I also use a thin coat of Vaseline to moisten membranes. And I do not use wet paper towels.

Hi again everyone! I don't want to cut in And change any topics, and I also don't want to keep asking stupid questions, but I fell in love with 2 a hen and a roo 100% on the their color. Once I got them home I notice a couple things and I none of my others have these traits so I just wanted to know if theses were desiarable traits or not.
#2 my hen Golden Eagle, her tail is extremely high and verical and come past vertical and some times comes up past her head like in this photo.

#2 my rooster Senica Chief has yellow ear loves.

Also is there a breed standard the the number of points one should have on their comb?

Thanks everyone!

Well three eggs that pipped in the normal places hatched over night. Still waiting on two. Last night I helped the chick who had been pipped for over a day in the wrong end... Well I actually just broke the shell a bit around the egg and then he was able to hatch himself... but then over night he just laid down and died. I don't get it. He was ready to hatch (no blood) and did the hatching part himself (not all the breaking the shell part). After he hatched he was active walking around and peeping. Any idea what happened? He did seem to have a tiny bit of the weird white foamy poop substance coming from his vent?

These two have 6 eggs and she's showing no signs of going broody. I'm pretty sure she couldn't sit on more than 6. I am thinking about incubating them but I really don't want yet another seperate pen to raise them. Is there a chance she will raise chicks if she hasn't been broody? I'm kinda bummed as I was under the impression serama went broody pretty easily.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom