American serama thread!

Got my first Serama egg from one of my girls today :weee

In a quail box lol

Last edited:
Mine are outside and I have 2 cockerels. One has a fairly robust crow and the other is pretty quiet. The Alpha is the loud one. But he is still not loud, per se. Maybe you could try them outside first and if anyone complains, bring them in and figure out the issues?
Congrats on the move. Glad y'all made it safely.

That's too cool that some incubating eggs made the trip and still hatched!

Well I'm not going to risking it if the crow sounds like a crow! Even if it's softer than most. I buy my chicken licence every year and they have never stopped to look at my chickens, but I have more hens than the licence is for. They are just bantams but I don't want someone complaining about a rooster to cost me my other chicks. If the crow sounds more like a squawk it will blend in with the noise of my hens and pigeons. But if it sounds like a rooster it's going inside. The only time anyone has complained in the past three years was once when I was raising a group of bantams and kept a favorite cock too long hoping he wouldn't be very loud. So what do you think of the cage plan?

Anyone else have any feedback on it? I know there are some indoor Seremas keepers on here!

Well I'm not going to risking it if the crow sounds like a crow! Even if it's softer than most. I buy my chicken licence every year and they have never stopped to look at my chickens, but I have more hens than the licence is for. They are just bantams but I don't want someone complaining about a rooster to cost me my other chicks. If the crow sounds more like a squawk it will blend in with the noise of my hens and pigeons. But if it sounds like a rooster it's going inside. The only time anyone has complained in the past three years was once when I was raising a group of bantams and kept a favorite cock too long hoping he wouldn't be very loud. So what do you think of the cage plan?

Anyone else have any feedback on it? I know there are some indoor Seremas keepers on here!

Honestly, I think your idea would help, but I still think it would get pretty dusty. Seems like I read something about bathing them fairly often, and that helps keep the dander down, but I'm not sure about that. Until some other house-bird keepers chime in, I'd say try it and see how it goes. I mean, you can always re-work it as you go.

But... would you plan to let them outside sometimes? I think birds need outside fresh air and real daylight. Does your basement have a window? (partially underground, or fully underground) Without proper daylight, the hens won't lay as well, so that would be something else to consider, since part of the whole idea is to get fertile eggs.

Hi! I'm a brand-new Serama house chicken owner. (I'll post photos later today.) I've had my two pullets for about two weeks now. They were rescues from our local humane society. They are estimated to be 5 months old. I've never had chickens nor known anyone with chickens before, but absolutely adore being a chicken owner now! They have pinkish red in their cheeks, but their combs are still small and pale, so I don't think they're ready to lay yet.

Anyway, my girls are in a large guinea pig cage (specifically a Hagen/Living World cage, XL size; the one with the arched red wire tops, a large gray plastic bottom, with a small nesting/hiding area under a gray plastic platform). I used shredded newspaper for their bedding for the first week and then meadow hay for this past week, trying to see what would work better. They have food, water, and grit/calcium bowls attached to the cage wire at the other end of the cage from the shelf with the nesting area underneath, and a wooden perch that runs the length of the cage.

The cage is on top of a desk that's right in front of an east-facing window, and we give them an hour of free run of the house every morning and evening. I give them a fresh mealworm by hand when they come out to play, and put dried mealworm and oat treats in their food dish after they return to the cage after free run time. I can't even really call it free run time, because they only wander around for about 5 minutes and then come over to me or my husband or my daughter to get cuddles and pets on the sofa. They nestle into our chests or shoulders, or sit between us on a blanket, and soak up the attention.

When they're in the cage, they poop mostly on the gray plastic shelf rather than in the bedding, which is making it very easy to clean daily. I just take the plastic shelf out and wash it in the bathtub every night when I give them fresh water and food in their coop cups. I change the bedding twice a week. I haven't had any dust at all, just stray feathers floating around everywhere. Maybe because of their young age? Do chickens get "dustier" as they get older and molt?

Anyway, that setup has worked great so far. Of course, only being two weeks into house chicken ownership, I might have a lot more to learn.

Would love to hear from others with indoor-only chickens!

Jennifer in St. Cloud, MN

Honestly, I think your idea would help, but I still think it would get pretty dusty. Seems like I read something about bathing them fairly often, and that helps keep the dander down, but I'm not sure about that. Until some other house-bird keepers chime in, I'd say try it and see how it goes. I mean, you can always re-work it as you go.

But... would you plan to let them outside sometimes? I think birds need outside fresh air and real daylight. Does your basement have a window? (partially underground, or fully underground) Without proper daylight, the hens won't lay as well, so that would be something else to consider, since part of the whole idea is to get fertile eggs.

My basement does have windows as it is only partially underground, but I would probably also give them some full spectrum lights.
Hi! I'm a brand-new Serama house chicken owner. (I'll post photos later today.) I've had my two pullets for about two weeks now. They were rescues from our local humane society. They are estimated to be 5 months old. I've never had chickens nor known anyone with chickens before, but absolutely adore being a chicken owner now! They have pinkish red in their cheeks, but their combs are still small and pale, so I don't think they're ready to lay yet.

Anyway, my girls are in a large guinea pig cage (specifically a Hagen/Living World cage, XL size; the one with the arched red wire tops, a large gray plastic bottom, with a small nesting/hiding area under a gray plastic platform). I used shredded newspaper for their bedding for the first week and then meadow hay for this past week, trying to see what would work better. They have food, water, and grit/calcium bowls attached to the cage wire at the other end of the cage from the shelf with the nesting area underneath, and a wooden perch that runs the length of the cage.

The cage is on top of a desk that's right in front of an east-facing window, and we give them an hour of free run of the house every morning and evening. I give them a fresh mealworm by hand when they come out to play, and put dried mealworm and oat treats in their food dish after they return to the cage after free run time. I can't even really call it free run time, because they only wander around for about 5 minutes and then come over to me or my husband or my daughter to get cuddles and pets on the sofa. They nestle into our chests or shoulders, or sit between us on a blanket, and soak up the attention.

When they're in the cage, they poop mostly on the gray plastic shelf rather than in the bedding, which is making it very easy to clean daily. I just take the plastic shelf out and wash it in the bathtub every night when I give them fresh water and food in their coop cups. I change the bedding twice a week. I haven't had any dust at all, just stray feathers floating around everywhere. Maybe because of their young age? Do chickens get "dustier" as they get older and molt?

Anyway, that setup has worked great so far. Of course, only being two weeks into house chicken ownership, I might have a lot more to learn.

Would love to hear from others with indoor-only chickens!

Jennifer in St. Cloud, MN
Cool. That is similar to the kind of cage I use now, but I plan to build something more to my liking (bigger and better at keeping dust in) soon!

Minnehaha
4 months 3.4 oz

I am very pleased to see your post; you've been missed. M... is beautiful. Two eggs from your Powder hatched for me. Both are pullets (my avatar birds-older now). The rest of the eggs failed to hatch.

I look forward to seeing more pictures and news of your flock.

Back
Top Bottom