American serama thread!

I didn't know you had crested cream legbars too! I may ask to buy some CCL eggs from you in spring.

Sadly we just lost our "Dolores" a couple days ago - brutal hawk attack. She was named after my mom (1st female to hatch on my mom's b-day). Although not a top flock favorite, she was a great layer, very pretty, always posed for photos, and her eggs won the blue ribbon every year at our county fair. I considered selling the CCL, but since my mom is no longer living, I kept Dolores around partially for the memories & partially for her beauty & eggs. Now we only have one 6-yr old EE hen who lays blue eggs. I doubt she'd be able to produce a full doz by herself, so no more fair ribbons.

RIP Dolores

img_6860-copy-copy-jpg.1589198
img_6868-copy-copy-jpg.1589199
img_6877-copy-jpg.1589200
img_7859-jpg.1589196

Pretty Delores. R.I.P.
Dang hawks, I still don’t know how they pick out our favs, but they seem to know. :(

Pretty Delores. R.I.P.
Dang hawks, I still don’t know how they pick out our favs, but they seem to know. :(
Yes, I thought she was very, very pretty..... and she knew it too.

When DD's results from a poultry science experiment were inconclusive, she wanted to do a 3rd trial. Unfortunately we didn't have another 10 weeks to incubate, hatch, & grow out the chicks in order to sex them. With only 6 weeks until the deadline, she needed some sex-linked hatching eggs so she could squeeze in that 3rd trial. A BYC friend offered to donate some of his CCL eggs. He said they came from the Rees line & were great quality. Indeed they were. We only kept the one female (Dolores) & really liked how perfectly shaped & blue her eggs were. (not blue-green - but BLUE)

BTW- I candled a sample of the serama eggs under the broody. Every one I looked at had development.
:eek:

They were set on impulse & taken from the fridge. I honestly thought only about 1/2 would make it. The weather is terrible & the hen gets off the nest every morning for her bio break. She went for a 10 min walk through the snow this morning. Those are some pretty tough eggs!

Yes, I thought she was very, very pretty..... and she knew it too.

When DD's results from a poultry science experiment were inconclusive, she wanted to do a 3rd trial. Unfortunately we didn't have another 10 weeks to incubate, hatch, & grow out the chicks in order to sex them. With only 6 weeks until the deadline, she needed some sex-linked hatching eggs so she could squeeze in that 3rd trial. A BYC friend offered to donate some of his CCL eggs. He said they came from the Rees line & were great quality. Indeed they were. We only kept the one female (Dolores) & really liked how perfectly shaped & blue her eggs were. (not blue-green - but BLUE)

Mine look pretty blue to me, but I sent some to someone and they said theirs are more blue than mine. They have lighted a bit since the girls first started laying though. I only have one rooster and 5 pullets. Just moved 2 black copper Marans pullets in with them today, I can get some olive eggers if i hatch those eggs.
C744E495-3D77-44C1-8F57-F4A42A24FAB3.jpeg

2338CD86-7234-4AD4-A172-FB121C021AFD.jpeg

I am new to seramas...not planning to necessarily breed them, but when I got this little guy, he was still young, and I bought him for a project and chose him because he did NOT "stand" like the Seramas usually do - I wanted him only because he was so small. As he aged he started looking more and more like other Seramas I'd seen, and now I don't think I'll use him for my project.

At any rate, I thought I should at least get a quick critique on him in case I decide to re-home him. Can anyone tell me what might be good and bad about him? 20181110_124232.jpg 20181110_124242.jpg 20181110_124237.jpg

Hiya
I have questions I'm afraid :rolleyes:
Bought 2 "Serama" to add to my hen and roo. One looks typical Serama the other looks more like a vulture :idunno :lau love her though,green legs an all.
Iv looked at hundreds of photod can't see any much like her . As a wild guess maybe some silkie or frizzle in her. So is there anyone that can enlighten me please as to what iv bought lol. Hatched 9 out of 9 of her offspring whoops ! Thought I'd loose some or have quitters ! Waiting to see how they grow :hmm
They are now 4weeks old. 3 of them are burning their little heads on the heat plate. Look so sore. Yet the others are not burning ? Worried and puzzled as to why 3 look burned others don't ? Will they be ok ? Feather out ok ? In pain ? Pics uploaded.
Thank you for any help/suggestions. And any id of Neve
IMG_20181126_133237.jpg
IMG_20181126_133306.jpg
IMG_20181126_133700.jpg
IMG_20181126_133710.jpg
poor head :-(

Hiya
Bought 2 "Serama" to add to my hen and roo. One looks typical Serama the other looks more like a vulture :idunno :lau love her though,green legs an all.
Iv looked at hundreds of photod can't see any much like her . As a wild guess maybe some silkie or frizzle in her. So is there anyone that can enlighten me please as to what iv bought lol. Hatched 9 out of 9 of her offspring whoops ! Thought I'd loose some or have quitters ! Waiting to see how they grow :hmm
They are now 4weeks old. 3 of them are burning their little heads on the heat plate. Look so sore. Yet the others are not burning ? Worried and puzzled as to why 3 look burned others don't ? Will they be ok ? Feather out ok ? In pain ? Pics uploaded.
Thank you for any help/suggestions. And any id of NeveView attachment 1600140 View attachment 1600142 View attachment 1600143 View attachment 1600145 poor head :-(

Your hen looks to be full serama, just the silkied variety (not a silkie mix, just carrying the silkied feather gene. :) She’s beautiful!

Poor little burned heads, I’ve never seen that before! Do they get in a pile under it, or does it just need raised? Maybe just raise one end, if some are still too short?
I fold up an old wash cloth under my heat plate, so the smaller ones can climb on it to be closer, but the bigger or older ones still have room too.

Last edited:
Hiya
Thank you for any help/suggestions. And any id of NeveView attachment 1600140 View attachment 1600142 View attachment 1600143 View attachment 1600145 poor head :-(
I re
Your hen looks to be full serama, just the silkied variety (not a sickie mix, just carrying the silkied feather gene. :) She’s beautiful!

Poor little burned heads, I’ve never seen that before! Do they get in a pile under it, or does it just need raised? Maybe just raise one end, if some are still too short?
I fold up an old wash cloth under my heat plate, so the smaller ones can climb on it to be closer, but the bigger or older ones still have room too.

Thank you so much for the (quick) reply. I'm happy you think she (Neve ) is beautiful as I love her. Cant wait to see her chicks feathered.
All in the brooder with the plate are 4 weeks old 8 are much the same size only 1 is much bigger it's fine no burns only 3 have bauld spots that look scorched/burned. the 1 in the pic being the worst. I have it somewhat lower at the back than front ? I just don't know what to do. Most roost on top now rather than under it.
Do I Dress the heads ? I read an 83 + page thread last night on here about heat plates plus loads on other sites only 1 person seamed to have similar.(p38) and no one had offered an explanation. Or solution. I'm worried. Thank you VWduckchick :)

They shouldn’t be able to touch it so you need to raise it up. I have seen a couple people raise it up and yes it’s painful. It can expose their skull when that scab falls off.
Thankyou.. it is quite high but I'll raise it higher now. Will the chicks with sore spots be ok. Should I treat them with cream of some sort..Off to raise the plate. Brb !

Back
Top Bottom