American serama thread!

aapablofamily1.jpg

Mr. and Mrs. Pablo Serama and family

Attachments

• aapablofamily.jpg
    aapablofamily.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Awww, is Pablo an attentive daddy? Ive got a few seramas due to hatch in a few days. Two viable ones under two broody hens that keep "sharing" and 3 in the inky as "just in case". Also have 4 more that appear to be viable that are a week behind. They were also "just in case". Phoenix really has done all the work while Pippin has been flipant about it. Although the past 6 days or so shes gotten more serious. Its like shes learning from Phoenix. But shes still young yet. Poor neglected Jasper hasn't really left their side. Was trying to take a dust bath practically on top of them this morning before I shoo'd him away before something bad happened. Hes pretty bored.

Annoying hawk:

I heard a ruckus coming from the bantam coop yesterday. A hawk actually was inside our screened room.... less than 12" from our sliding door. It was standing on the welcome mat trying to claw its way into the little coop. My husband got to the door first and banged on the glass, but the hawk didn't fly away. He opened it a crack and threw a shoe at it. Then it flew just outside the screened room and landed on the grill.

I took this pic from inside the house with the door open.
IMG_2309.JPG

I took this as I walked through the screened room.... slowly
IMG_2310.JPG

I was slowly stalking it.... not sure how close I would get. I got as far as the garbage can, then flew to a tree.
IMG_2311.JPG

It stayed in the tree for a while, so my son got out his super soaker. It moved but stayed in the area. It actually moved a little closer to us when we started cleaning the big coop. Needless to say, I did not let any chickens out all day. It's still hanging around.

I think it's a Coopers Hawk.
IMG_2312.JPG

And hawks are supposed to be wild. I'm having a similar problem with hawks here in TN. I only let the serama out if I'm right beside them; and then only for a short time. The hawks have become so aggressive that the last few days I've kept the bantams in. My longtails are much bigger so the hawks don't bother them even when they have chicks. Once the hens quit caring for the chicks I lock them up. Experience has shown me that without the protective hen the chicks are gone within a day.

But still, I wonder about your Coppers hawk; if it's sick or a youngster not good at hunting-starving, to be so seemingly unafraid.

And hawks are supposed to be wild. I'm having a similar problem with hawks here in TN. I only let the serama out if I'm right beside them; and then only for a short time. The hawks have become so aggressive that the last few days I've kept the bantams in. My longtails are much bigger so the hawks don't bother them even when they have chicks. Once the hens quit caring for the chicks I lock them up. Experience has shown me that without the protective hen the chicks are gone within a day.

But still, I wonder about your Coppers hawk; if it's sick or a youngster not good at hunting-starving, to be so seemingly unafraid.
We live in a neighborhood, so the wildlife is VERY bold. I couldn't believe that it didn't fly off when DH banged on the glass. Even when we chase them, they don't really fly far. I've hit them with the hose frequently.

Over a year ago: We had a similar hawk (maybe same one) pull a bunch of quail through the wire of a rabbit cage (sitting on the floor deep inside the garage). It was a nice day, so I left the door open. The hawk must have simply flown in via the open door and walked all the way to the back. The quail were too large to fit through the bars, so the hawk just kept grabbing parts. It was gruesome. The hawk nearly flew into my head when I walked into the garage and surprised it.

In November: I had a hawk attack my Spitzhauben when I was just 20' away. It landed on the Spitz and all I saw was a flapping mess of feathers. I was cleaning the run & chased it off with my pooper scooper. The hen took damage but survived.

When the trees lose their cover, my flock stays locked up. They usually get just a few min to run around outside while I'm out there cleaning & then I call them back inside the coop/run. However, when there's a hawk sitting in the tree staring at the coop, I can't let them out even with me there.

If you live in a rural area, I've heard bird-bangers work well. Anything sounding like a gunshot would give my poor neighbors heart attacks.

Hawks! :barnie
They are bad here too. I’m missing another duck. :hit

I leave out a few excess bantam cochin roosters, but do they touch them??? Noooooo.

Faraday, that one looks very young. Parents are probably nearby too. :tongue

I, also, would be very interested in getting some silkied serama hatching eggs when the weather warms.

They are laying decent now, so just tell me when. The problem is that my silkied pen is not all silkied. I have some smooth in there, so I can’t guarantee silkied.

All of your pictures/birds are wonderful. This one really caught my eye; would enjoy seeing a close-up of this bird.

He is adorable! But... something is kinda wrong with his legs. I’m not sure what his issue is. I wonder if he has short leg genes, and survived. He walks like his hips aren’t attached right sometimes. I honestly expected him to die when I watched him as a baby, but he really doesn’t have any problems getting around. I know I should probably move him out. I’ve never seen him try to mate the girls though. Not to say he hasn’t done it. :p
I’ll get some good pics of him. Maybe you can tell what his deal is. He is the only one that gets a chest scratch every evening after they have roosted for the night.

Back
Top Bottom