American serama thread!

I hate winter in Tennessee-rain-snow-wind-cold-cloudy; day after day after day. Thank God for computers, the internet, and this group.

Years ago I gave up on incubators as a waste of time and a waste of eggs. Those still air foam jobs are just too affected by exterior factors to be reliable with serama eggs and I just couldn't afford an expensive, reliable model or so I thought.

Last fall I lost two hens to hawks and both hens had clutches of eggs that were also lost. While looking through the net I came upon an ad for a small seven egg incubator (perfect-the exact size of my average serama clutch) aaannnnddddd less than $20. I bought it figuring that twenty wasted dollars wouldn't break the bank.

The thing was delivered in four days, a MINI INTELLIGENT 7 EGG INCUBATOR. It looked pretty unimpressive, a plastic dome over a plastic base with a digital temperature read out, a tiny space for water, a simple egg tray, and a small fan in the base.

My Kimmi and I looked over the directions, laughed a bit at our foolishness, and plugged it in. Within minutes the digital display read 38C; its recommended temperature.

I set the thing on my bedside stand so as to not forget to turn the eggs (no automatic turner) and basically forgot it other than to turn the eggs.

Then the day came that the furnace stopped working and the house got colder and colder; INTELLIGENT stayed at 38C. We got the furnace replaced and the house became warm again. However, I forgot to set the bedroom vent and when the door was opened hot air blasted out; INTELLIGENT stayed at 38C.

Now the thing-incubator got my attention. I've been watching the digital readout and there has never been more than one tenth of a degree change. To me that is really impressive.

What with the cruddy weather that has lasted week after week after month, my serama lay every two or three days. Where it should take a week to ten days for the hen to lay a complete clutch now it's taking two to three weeks before they go broody. that means the first eggs have lost their viability.

The INTELLIGENT has another use. I usually have two or three hens laying eggs, so now as I replace eggs with dummies I wait for the magic number seven, place the eggs in the incubator, then when the hens finally go broody I give the eggs back to the hen to be hatched. No hen has complained, yet, about having a shorter brooding time so I guess all is well.

I am completely satisfied with my plastic dome incubator and thoroughly recommend it to those that are not looking for quantity. It's a great little machine to have around-with an assisted hatch-with abandoned eggs-even a tiny, premature puppy that can't keep itself warm.

Feeling SOOOO impatient waiting for these seramas to hatch. Yesterday/today makes day 21 for the eggs under Phoenix and Pippin and tomorrow night makes 21 for the ones in the incubator. I can still see movement in Phone's eggs, but all movement seems to have stopped in the inky eggs.😞 I know its cold out and with Phoe and Pip "sharing" I figured maybe a couple extra days, but jeez! I wanna see cute fluffies!!

Feeling SOOOO impatient waiting for these seramas to hatch. Yesterday/today makes day 21 for the eggs under Phoenix and Pippin and tomorrow night makes 21 for the ones in the incubator. I can still see movement in Phone's eggs, but all movement seems to have stopped in the inky eggs.😞 I know its cold out and with Phoe and Pip "sharing" I figured maybe a couple extra days, but jeez! I wanna see cute fluffies!!
I know the feeling-all the waiting-and winter messing up the works :he; two of mine went broody today with just 11 eggs between them. Most likely there will be a number 12 by tomorrow giving each a clutch of six. The best of luck with yours. :fl My next hatch is Tuesday-Good luck to me too.

I wanna see cute fluffies!!
OK I aim to please.
Here you go....
IMG_2340.JPG

Still looks female too!
IMG_2335.JPG

Hope you hear the familiar sound of peeping very soon.

@Faraday40 You ought to send that one into a contest!
Aww thanks! It's not a clear pic, but I thought it was cute. Xansie is an experienced mama and used to caring for multiple chicks. It's so unusual to have just the one, but she's handling it well.

The odd family is still doing great. My little experiment worked out. They are fully integrated into the bantam flock. MaiMai adopted the pullet and is raising her right along with the little orp chick. She protects both and keeps them warm. Today I even saw Teddy hanging out with them and tidbit-ting.

* BUT: One draw back of having the little family integrated is how the other remaining hens have all decided to go broody. At 1st is was just the 2 silkies and then a serama joined them. The serama (Sesame) is sitting on 2 LF orpington eggs which are due in about a week+. However as soon as the other hens heard all the peeping, they started piling into the nests. I looked in there today and saw Sesame on her 2 eggs.... with the 2 remaining hens sitting on top of her.
Broodiness is highly contagious!

Nchols school, where (website) did you buy the incubator? I'm looking for an incubator for small batches of eggs.

Hi Ra_ . Will you be selling any tribble hatching eggs this spring?

They've been having trouble hatching so I don't sell them anymore.
I'm only offering eggs for my Rainbow Rock and Florida breeds now.
I just hatched the first 5 chicks from my third generation one week ago.
Huge birds but some of those Serama girls push them around when I let them mingle.

rachel1216.jpg

Back
Top Bottom