American serama thread!

:lau
Yep. I can picture that! Our tiny Sebright thinks she's queen and regularly beats up my largest 9-10lb orps. Even the roosters give her space!

I was just thinking of trying to get a picture of tiny Jessie on the back on Big Mama, my 12 pound hen.

bigmama1216.jpg

Even the roosters give her space!
I can vouch for that one! :gig I've seen them scoot to give her room!

Well, after 25 LONG days (yes, you read that right - you'd think I was trying to hatch a turkey), we finally have a pip and cheeping on one of the eggs Pippin and Phoenix have been sharing. This has been the craziest brooding period. I am so glad I put backups in. The first backups all perished, but the second 4 are all developed and still squirming. They will be 17 days complete tomorrow morning. I think I'm going to pull Pippin out with the pipped egg and let her have the single survivor. I'll give 3 of the almost done ones to Phoenix and leave one in the inky as she struggles to cover 4 adequately. Once they start hatching I'll just slip the last one into place.

Well the egg hatched this morning! Literally as i was removing Phoenix to her own private box! Looks like a little cream or white. Pippin had it under her wings. Jasper got the boot to the bottom for a day or two so they can bond. That was close in moving Phoenix in time!

Well the egg hatched this morning! Literally as i was removing Phoenix to her own private box! Looks like a little cream or white. Pippin had it under her wings. Jasper got the boot to the bottom for a day or two so they can bond. That was close in moving Phoenix in time!
Congrats!

Now pics please. :jumpy

:goodpost:
Love that 1st pic. Pip looks so proud!

Mine often take time building those muscles up. They walk unsteady for the 1st 24 hours but it should gradually get better. A week from now, she'll be riding around on mama's back.

Nchols school, where (website) did you buy the incubator? I'm looking for an incubator for small batches of eggs.
For some reason I am not getting posts through my e-mail on threads I am watching; frustrating.

Use a Google search box. Type in "7 egg incubator for sale". I just did and there is one on ebay for $15.74. It's definitely worth it; at least I think it is.

Nchols school, where (website) did you buy the incubator? I'm looking for an incubator for small batches of eggs.

I just went back and took a more careful look at the ad. It is the same exact one I have. Says 7 eggs, but I have 10 phoenix eggs in mine by stacking the eggs. I use mine to start the incubation process and then move the eggs under broody hens to hatch. Below is the latest hen to hatch; six chicks from seven eggs started in the incubator. What's the point-simply to get chicks a week or two earlier for people waiting for my serama chicks.

AAAcali9.jpg

The Phoenix eggs I bought yesterday and had no broody hen to put them under. If I waited for a hen the eggs would get older and results might not be as good as starting them now in the incubator and then move them under a suitable broody when one become available. Hens can't count weeks; it's only necessary that a hen brood at least a week before chicks hatch.

Back
Top Bottom