American serama thread!

There's six chicks in the tub, but where are they?

aaaapabloandcali.jpg

This morning, when Pablo and Cali were sitting together, I looked and 3 chicks were under Mom and 3 under Dad. Pablo takes fatherhood seriously... for a rooster.

Im so hoping my Jasper is as good a daddy. He's been given the boot to the bottom half of the coop for a few days so mom can bond and chick can it can start walking better. :fl

I eggtospied the quitters today. All 4 were completely formed with no apparent deformities. I have no clue what happened.:he
It's serama blues. I had two serama hens brooding 5 and 7 eggs; 12 total. Candling today showed that 6 quit and 6 are fine. I could see no reason for the 6 quitting either. Possibly 7 eggs was just too many, but the same hen had seven last time and hatched all seven. Serama blues-it just happens... and the smaller the serama the more often it seems to happen. Serama eggs are just touchy when compared to other breeds.

Another problem is serama egg size; the size is not in proportion to the size of the bird. I got a good reminder of that yesterday. My new Phoenix bantams (avatar) laid eggs yesterday on the ground in the poultry yard. While the Phoenix are much larger than the serama the eggs size is the same which explains why serama can only brood half as many eggs as other breeds; the eggs are twice as big as they should be if the egg were proportional to body size.

Possibly 7 eggs was just too many, but the same hen had seven last time and hatched all seven
I dont know how yours cover so many. All i can get Phoenix to cover seems to be 3. I tried 4 but everytime I checked on her there was one poking out the front, or behind the rear, practically not covered at all and cool.

I dont know how yours cover so many. All i can get Phoenix to cover seems to be 3. I tried 4 but everytime I checked on her there was one poking out the front, or behind the rear, practically not covered at all and cool.
Seven is too many. I just lucked out with the all the prior eggs hatching. A lot has to do with what they have for a nest. I've seen many pictures of hens brooding in sawdust/wood shavings nests. A poor nest material as it does not hold the right shape (way too loose a material). A nest needs to be like the shape of a cereal bowl; a shape that holds the eggs together and in place. I use fine straw and pine needles with the serama and still periodically check and reinforce nests that have become misshapen. A hen can do just so much when it comes to keeping the eggs under her and if the nest isn't right the hatch is often less than what it could be. How big is your Phoenix? My hens are between 8 and 13 ounces.

When next Phoenix broods try a different nest container and material. It does make a big difference. With my tiniest I often do use a cereal bowl; one that has been made nonslippery on the inside. A slippery nest receptacle won't hold a hen's nest in place.

Below, the hen's nest was a salad bowl. A slippery one-the nest slide to the side and the eggs (some) were resting on the bowl bottom. Because of this 3 eggs were lost/four hatched. The hen was tiny; well under 10 ounces.

From now on I'll not give the serama no more than 6 eggs-my smallest 4 eggs.

aaamomoneggs.jpg

While the hen was quite small her eggs were very small so she could cover the seven. You've probably noticed that some larger serama lay tiny eggs while some tiny hens lay larger eggs than their bigger sisters. This also plays a part in how many eggs a broody can set adequately.

Last edited:
They've been having trouble hatching so I don't sell them anymore.
I'm only offering eggs for my Rainbow Rock and Florida breeds now.
I just hatched the first 5 chicks from my third generation one week ago.
Huge birds but some of those Serama girls push them around when I let them mingle.=QUOTE]

So sorry to hear that.

Yeah, sad. I even let tribbles.info expire.
I still have 5 pairs that I will care for, for life.
I love them.
Have you considered introducing new blood to increase the tribbles' vitality? Many people have serama reminiscent of tribbles. This is something I did with my Phoenix. Where, before, eggs didn't hatch and chicks were weak and frail, now after 4 generations fertility is high and the chicks vigorous and strong; so strong that my hens hatched chicks all winter and raised them outside. It was very humorous to watch the little chicks run and catch snowflakes. I guess they thought they were flying insects-so funny!
DSCF0011.JPG
aaasilver.png

Back
Top Bottom