American serama thread!

Ok, I'll do picture time too!
First up is Pippin and her lone chick at 3.5 weeks. Chick is silkied and looks female still to me. One picture is just Pippin. The chick was behind her and not cooperating.
20200327_121759.jpg
20200327_121628.jpg
20200327_121855.jpg
20200327_121618.jpg

Next is Phoenix and her 4
20200327_122937.jpg
20200327_122944.jpg

Her first chick is 3 weeks old and is a smooth feather. I originally thought i had all girls, but today i see some comb development. So maybe I've got a boy.
20200327_123007.jpg
20200327_123014.jpg

Next three were from @Faraday40 Angel. They are about 2 weeks old.
Smoooth feathered one.
20200327_123059.jpg
20200327_123043.jpg

Another smooth and this one has yellow to it.
20200327_123149.jpg

Lastly is the other silkied one. She and the yellowish one are the smallest ones. She also keeps getting horrible cases of pasty butt. Not sure why.
20200327_123224.jpg

@nchls school
Congratulations on the newest silkied seramas!
That's great some of those silkied genes stuck around.
I just started using a younger roo. Apparently he and at least two hens have the silkied gene as there are silkied chicks in the brooder from two different clutches. I had absolutely no idea. After all this time. Pretty neat how genes do stick around.

Ok, I'll do picture time too!
First up is Pippin and her lone chick at 3.5 weeks. Chick is silkied and looks female still to me. One picture is just Pippin. The chick was behind her and not cooperating. View attachment 2064261View attachment 2064262View attachment 2064263View attachment 2064264

Next is Phoenix and her 4
View attachment 2064265View attachment 2064266
Her first chick is 3 weeks old and is a smooth feather. I originally thought i had all girls, but today i see some comb development. So maybe I've got a boy.
View attachment 2064275View attachment 2064277
Next three were from @Faraday40 Angel. They are about 2 weeks old.
Smoooth feathered one.
View attachment 2064280View attachment 2064281
Another smooth and this one has yellow to it.
View attachment 2064283
Lastly is the other silkied one. She and the yellowish one are the smallest ones. She also keeps getting horrible cases of pasty butt. Not sure why.
View attachment 2064284
I love little Pip & her chick. Both are adorable.

Technically, they're all adorable - but I'm a little partial to Pippin.

I think you're right about the genders. The one is not an obvious male yet, but it's your best shot. The others have no comb development at all. I tell you I have the strangest luck and hatch way more females than males. (The last 8 chicks I hatched.... 7 females, and only one that "could" be male. "He" is slightly bigger (more muscular with thicker legs) than the sister but not much comb yet. Can't really call it since they're not quite 3 weeks old, but I'm hoping "he" turns out to be a big & beautiful blue orpington. That's been my prediction since hatch. Time will tell.

Considering all that is going on this seems like a trivial matter. I have a number of serama that had been spoken for. Now, people are afraid to leave their homes, myself included, to come for the birds. What to do? I can let the hens go on hatching chicks or shut them down. Sales of the serama pays the feed bills for all our critters and some left over to indulge myself with something different in the way of poultry. The near future seems bleak. For those that sell, what are your plans?

I have the same issue here. IL has a "shelter in place" order so no one is going anywhere unless it's health related or for basic needs like food.

I have a bunch of chicks due Monday (trial 1 of DS's 4H experiment) A max of 19 orps may hatch. We usually sell them & with Easter coming up, I have always sold out in a matter of days. Not sure what will happen but I pray we can sell them. At least seramas eat very little. Orpington chicks can quickly eat us out of house & home.

Meanwhile, DS has been collecting eggs for 2 weeks for his 2nd trial. They're scheduled to start on Wednesday. (Do we skip it and start over in a month or 2?)

I'm also supposed to start some turkey & duck eggs for a preschool next week ..... but all schools are closed. it's not a problem if they reopen April 8th as planned, but I fear the state will extend the order. I DO NOT want turkeys & ducks for myself, so do I cancel picking up the eggs?

Little Jesse was getting picked on by his brother and the hen I placed them with so I let him bunk with my 5 young large breed chicks about 10 days ago.
He feeds them.

jessepals328c.jpg

Today I let 9 one week old large breed chicks run loose with Jesse & his crew.
Jesse and the month old birds were very loving towards them. I was impressed.

jessepals328.jpg

jesspals328b.jpg

Last edited:
Little Jesse was getting picked on by his brother and the hen I placed them with so I let him bunk with my 5 young large breed chicks about 10 days ago.
He feeds them.

Today I let 9 one week old large breed chicks run loose with Jesse & his crew.
Jesse and the month old birds were very loving towards them. I was impressed.
In a specie that is known o bully and be mean; I'm impressed too.

Ra_ My last tribble died almost two years ago when fire ants invaded the nest at night, but look what turned up in my brooder-the tribble gene has reappeared.
tribbles.jpg

Back
Top Bottom