American serama thread!

Yes def at lockdown.yes the game chick is higher in protein. My feed store carries it
Quote:

Thanks! Do I need to up my humidity still at lockdown, I'm assuming yes, but is it about the same as LF? So you get game chick starter instead of regular chick starter? Is that usually still available at the feed stores?

Quote:
I had my first hatch this summer. I'm in a dry climate, so I upped my humidity to 70% on day 18, mine hatched on days 20 & 21. As for chicks, they are teeny tiny. I used medicated chick starter mash for my babies, then switched to crumble when they got a bit bigger. Now that my oldest are almost 3 months, I'm mixing crumble and pellets, as ultimately, I would like them on pellets (easier to clean out of sand). They need to stay inside longer than LF chicks. You can't put them out at 4 weeks old. They are just too little.

They make great housepets! And I have a good lead on diapers for them, if you want to spoil them rotten
big_smile.png

ouch... just saw that bill... don't worry, most likely it wasn't your fault... these birds can have the lethal gene... usually happens to breeds that don't breed true... hopefully it doesn't keep happening...

Hey guys!!! I haven't been able to get on here much the last little while. I just got my incubator in today. SOO EXCITED! And scared to death! LOL

I have the bator set up in the spare room. Room temp is about 83 according to the thermometer and room humidity is 43-45%. I put water in the bottom of the bator and at this point only half an hour (maybe less) after set up the humidity inside the bator is 53%. I am going to practice with some LF eggs from my own chickens. Have been collecting since last Saturday and just kept them in an egg flat with small end down on a table. Will they be okay? Read somewhere they should be kept cooler. Not much I can do about it now, but do I need to collect new eggs and keep them cooler somehow???? What do y'all do??

I want to get a few hatches of LF down before I try Seramas, although that's what I primarily got the bator to hatch!

I'm open to and would appreciate any tips on what's too high humidity, and what to do about it, etc. Worried that might be a problem.

Oh yeah, I got a Genesis 1588 with auto egg turner. Won't use the turner with Serama eggs, but am going to use it for the LF. Has anyone put some kind of handle on the lid to make it easier to open and manipulate??? Just seems pretty unwieldy to me, and I know I need to hurry when I open the bator lid.

Thanks in advance!!!

Quote:
Oh come on!!! Jump right in with Serama!!! I did!!

Girl, I am wayyyyy too chicken for that!!! Plus, I'd have to do shipping eggs and I don't want to lose money practicing on shipped eggs!

Quote:
Oh come on!!! Jump right in with Serama!!! I did!!

Girl, I am wayyyyy too chicken for that!!! Plus, I'd have to do shipping eggs and I don't want to lose money practicing on shipped eggs!

why won't you use the turner for the serama eggs...?

I've read that several folks think they turn too much for the Serama eggs??? Seems like most of what I've read, people prefer to turn by hand??? Something about the vibration of the turner maybe reducing hatch rate??? Something along those lines.

Quote:

why won't you use the turner for the serama eggs...?

Back
Top Bottom